April 27, 2024, 08:32:57 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

81 degrees

Started by help-u2, January 16, 2009, 03:14:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

help-u2

sooo, i been riding buell and superglide last few months.
getting lazy to kick the old iron.. its been cold and rainey.
today was so nice i got it out of storage.  (havent ridden it in months)
charged batt, filled up tires, cleaned carb.  fired 4th kick...it smoked like a 2 stroke from sumping but cleaned out.
had a great time riding it around.  its been starting 1-2 kicks all day.
great fun.  i missed riding it... new stuff is nice but old iron is COOL

saltcaveminer

my 70 xlch was my first sporty.at 54 i really like electric start but when i kick the ole gal over and she roars back to life i go back to the good ole days and well love it to death!!.Salty 

help-u2

its a time machine salty.

my first sporty was a 55" kh.  then i had a knuckle and a pan.
bought the 1974 new.  rode it all these years even though had other motors in between.  its my favorite bike.
a true time machine.  i am 60 yeas old but am instantly transformed to 23 when on sporty.  even some of the pain goes away.
friends say they never see me smile as big on other bikes...

raw bike,  no electric start, no blinkers, no brakes (would like them to be better) just basic big motor and light frame.
i did put on a c.v. carb for better milage and easier startiing last year.
but it is down on power.   today putting back on old gal 1 7/8 L series carb.  will gain about 10 horses and get my 3rd gear wheeles back...lol..
i was fouling out plugs with it cause too rich. (was set up for alky)  cant buy jets.  so yesterday i souldered up the jets and redrilled them...
may be a tad harder to start and might have to resolder and redrill to tune.  but the look and power of that old drag carb is what it needs...

no cure for a sportster bitten person.... just live with it.
it is quicker than the buell.  just not as fast...

77 inch stroke kit bored to 80 inches
axtell heads, large XR stainless valves, bronze guides, sifton custom made cams (tom owed me a favor)
S&S pushrods, trw pistons, belt primary with alum clutch,
tuned suspension (nitrogen assist works rear)  (stiffened up front) and welded-cut frame for handling geomentry,
XR tank and seat, and  some home made trick parts.
S&S L series carb and with alcohol.
turned 10 second quarter miles and ridden on street.
running 23 tooth on front sprockett
i did all the machine work, assembly and design
only thing i did not do was head porting
C.R.Axtell did that to mile flat tracker specs.
nothing like old iron

nibroc

haven't bought any lately but S&S has been good to me. they have even sent parts to me FREE for the GAL. try 'em again--I think they still have the jets. 72 or 74 should be all you need--JMHO  and salty I'll go look for you a boatail light assy. tomorrow garage is too cold now-lol

help-u2

i have a jet board.  12 main jets different sizes.  on alky every 10 degrees temp difference would rejet (drag racing)
i soldered one up and re drilled to a 70.  should not be a problem.
real hassell is the intermediate jet.  have a 33 and need a 30. damn small hole to work with.  and to try and solder it without any getting in tube, well, no fun.  so i really need a 28 or 30 (long tube) intermediate jet. 
got one?

saltcaveminer

thank you nibroc.any help is appreciated.I'm looking for the license plate lamp assembly and the wiring.Salty

nibroc

help-u2
all I have are main jets
never had a reason to change the intermediate
mine is a 33 also...but ya caused me to go
out in the cold ass garage to look

help-u2

nibrok?
whats your build?
are you rich midrange with that 33?
big inch?
S&S shows the 33 for really big motors...
they also suggest drilling out carb body (at jet sites)for more air.  i dont really want to do that cause no going back then.

nibroc

help-u2
you're awfully nosy--got a '59 xlch-extremly modified frame and motor-77"-3 1/4"dytch jugs .040 over-23 tooth trans. sproket-king kicker-joe hunt mag-axtell forged pistons-sifton minus minus cams-.002 longer pushrods(s&s)-2" manley valves w/stock '70 heads-not ported or polished-the rest of the motor is all s&s-4 5/8" flywheels-gal 1 7/8" carb w/.072 main and .033 intermediate jets-frame is raked-21" over w/21" spoked wheel w/k model hub-6 bend pullbacks-16" rear spoke wheel-bates light w/100 watt halogen bulb -king and queen seat-old skool hardtail-hard to turn around in a double driveway-bunch 'o chrome-s&s still sells this stuff for the motor execpt for gal carb and a few other goodies-and yeah I'm a little rich w/33 intermediate and been needin headwork for a # 'o years- warner riley built this motor in 1974 at lake shore h-d-love my old iron-regards, nibroc-p.s. years ago when dragracing I would use .078 main w/velocity stack and put motor on my '68 xlch frame that is stock execpt for 16" rear wheel which was hard to control.

saltcaveminer

hey nibroc check your inbox,thanx Salty

nibroc

help-u2

thats me...mr nosey...lol..
put the  old L on today.  soldered it with a wire up the tube...hand drilled the hole to a 30.
it started well.  it ran very well.  all the power i lost from that little 40 mm is back...
the 17/8 is close to 50 mm....anyway.  took a hiway run...10 miles..did a ign chop.  plug test look fine...ran around town 30 mins.  pulled plugs...rich .  not as bad as before where they would foul and i would have to change on side of road.  but still rich...
now some is oil frombronze guides and stainless valves.  old and all.  rings been in 15 years or so...it does puff some....still need leaner midrange.  looking for a 28.  have a letter off to S&S.  we shall see.    (i soldered the 33 and redrilled to a 30)  have no 28 bit...
was not oil fouling with the c.v.   i also noticed now it idles nice, well smooth with those cams is wrong word, but consistant...with c.v. it would idle high then want to die.  no matter how i adjusted idle mix or speed.  thinking it is cause the outragous overlap on those "special "cams...  the vacume pulses were all over the maop...
but it starts, idles consistantly, runsgood 3/4 and up....just still need the damn 28.
may search for a drill.  resolder and try again if S&S dosent come through...also went back to my bad gas milage.  with the little carb i could actually leave town...this thing i must fill up every 1/2 hour.  oh well.  would rather have better front tire wear from it being in the air..

nibroc

yeah--ain't it great. make sure ya put that cardboard under it when ya park it!    :hyst:    lol-- missed a mag by $5 yesterday on ebay-don't have any luck

help-u2

leaks?  naw, with all the machining and case laping i have done it does not leak.  a drop or two out the breather .
thinking about ptting a catch can for that so i dont catch crap from the new bike riders always looking for drops...

SEE IT LEAKS...aftr a hard run....ah, you had to look for 10mins to find it...and if you look above it there is a engine breather hose..

race bikes we used a baby bottle...lol....just for the whiners....thinking of using a pill bottle .  just wire tye it to bottom of frame...

saltcaveminer

she's not puking,she's just clearing her lungs! ha ha.Salty

garyajaz

LOL Salty.    strokers need to breathe.  i have regular breather out of cam cover,  vent from primary cover, extra one from tranny, extra one from crankcase.

only the cam cover one collects and spits.  that gen oil slinger no doubt...
still tired of people looking for leaks and expressing joy when they see a breather drop...
hey, i say, at least i not routing it to carb like your new bikes to injest back into combustion chamber.....(blank looks)

oh well.  i usually beat the new bikes to destinaton anyway...
my buell is faster but the sporty is quicker...

help-u2

oops... its me above post i signed in with old me....LOL