May 03, 2024, 11:43:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Buddy, Larry, V-T Extreme Energy cams

Started by harleytoprock, January 16, 2009, 03:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytoprock

WFOlarry,  Buddy, I beleive you guys have experience with V-Thunder's EVL-5010 and EVL-5015 cams. I would like to know, with the higher lifts, if you are hearing any valve train noise with these cams? Thanks

Buddy WMC

Quote from: harleytoprock on January 16, 2009, 03:39:07 PM
WFOlarry,  Buddy, I beleive you guys have experience with V-Thunder's EVL-5010 and EVL-5015 cams. I would like to know, with the higher lifts, if you are hearing any valve train noise with these cams? Thanks

I purchased the 5015 for my engine combination based on Larry and V-Thunders advice. I pressed my stock cam gear off the EV-27 that I had been running and reinstalled the stock gear on the V-Thunder cam. The cam did not have to be re-shimmed but, the inside of the case did need to be clearanced a bit for the higher lift. I was also running SE chrome lifter blocks, lifters and SE adjustable pushrods. I also replaced the SE lifters with V-Thunders along with the new cam, TP roller rockers and reused the SE pushrods. IMO, my engine is now quieter than it was prior to the change over. I attrubite that to the ramp design of the V-thunder cam.

Photojohn just installed a 5010 in his ride and from what I understand is quite pleased with it. I'm waiting on his Dyno results to see if there is any improvement over my numbers with a little less duration. If so, I might just change over to the 5010 as well.

Flat Dog

January 16, 2009, 05:30:00 PM #2 Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 05:35:38 PM by Photo John
I have pretty much the same setup as Buddy, and it's nice n quiet too in regards to the top end. Pulls like a screaming psycho from 2800 up, but the acc pump is a little fat right now for break in. As soon as I can get 500 miles on her, I'll tune the carb right. The TP rollers are awesome! My evo is MUCH quieter than my twinkie top end using SE cams (fast ramp/high lift) and stock rockers.

I kinda ran out of cash due to a business situation, so the dyno tune is out for the time being. If I can just get a base run in sometime for $50 or so, I may do it. Dropping an extra $300 right now is something I just can't do with a business in the crapper. ;)

I have to say that out of all the different cams I have used, the V Thunder makes me the happiest all around. Thanks Buddy!

-John

harleytoprock

Photo John, What SE cam are you running in that twinkie? I have  SE204's in my twinkie and although they should be fairly quiet, at certain rpm ranges the noise drives me crazy.Maybe I'm a little sensitive to noises. Sounds like a panhead with solids adjusted to loose.
      Its nice that your happy with the evl-5010 cam. Would you say the valve train is as quiet as stock? I have the evl-3010 in right now and its stock quiet. I'm a little nervous to step up to the high lift extreme energy cams as I'm thinking they might sound like a Woods 6h.

wfolarry

I'm a little nervous to step up to the high lift extreme energy cams as I'm thinking they might sound like a Woods 6h.

They won't.

Flat Dog

Photo John, What SE cam are you running in that twinkie?
SE 251s, which are stump pullers in the 103. Previously I was riding a 1980 FXEF with solids and a 514 cam. Always sounded like the top end was going to blow and take my family jewels off. I loved it.

b]I have  SE204's in my twinkie and although they should be fairly quiet, at certain rpm ranges the noise drives me crazy.Maybe I'm a little sensitive to noises. Sounds like a panhead with solids adjusted to loose.[/b]
The 204s are MOL top end cams compred to the 203s or 211s. Noise you are hearing is a fast ramp combined with regular rockers and a lot of aluminum to amplify the noise.

Its nice that your happy with the evl-5010 cam. Would you say the valve train is as quiet as stock? I have the evl-3010 in right now and its stock quiet. I'm a little nervous to step up to the high lift extreme energy cams as I'm thinking they might sound like a Woods 6h.

IMO, they are as quiet or quieter than stock with new B lifters, cam, and roller rockers.

Mid-top end performance can leave twikie hot rodders crying. ;)

My scoot had a propipe and Mikuni carb. I love the comfort of my Ultra, but the Dyna is a screamer that almost makes me feel 20 again.