May 05, 2024, 09:46:11 AM

News:

progressive 440 shocks

Started by djsim, January 16, 2009, 03:51:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djsim

Anyone know where I can get  a set of progressive 440's, cheapest and be sure they are new with warranty?

Jeffd

best price I found was Motorcycle accessory warehouse.  $388 for 13" standard springs.

Big Dan

I bought mine from them as well. Same price for 12.5" w/heavy duty springs.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

the Grump

I thought about these on mine. Are they really worth that much money?

Big Dan

Grump,
For me they are. I'm keeping this bike 'till the bitter end, and the lifetime warranty means I'll never spend another dime on shocks. When the oil breaks down in 40k miles, Progressive will replace them free of charge. And (again, this is just my situation) I would have saved a bunch of money had I just bit the bullet and bought the 440's right out of the gate. I wasted money on lowering kits, shorter air shocks, etc, before I finally ponied up for the good shocks. The sting from the price tag fades rather quickly.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Ken R

I'm at the other end of the opinion spectrum. 

I bought Progressive 440's expecting a vast improvement in ride and handling.  Maybe I'm not discriminating enough. . .. .I couldn't tell any difference.  It still felt like a motorcycle.  :wink:  I set them for riding with my wife on the back several times, but doing so became more trouble than it was worth.  Now they're set almost all the way firm all the time.   (I have the light-load springs)

My progressives are now about 3 years old.  They're both leaking.  I'll be sending them back for a rebuild and will re-install the OEM shocks and experiment with air pressures for riding solo or two-up.  Then, I'll be able to quickly and easily adjust for riding with my wife on the back (occasionally) or with just me (99% of the time).   The decision whether or not to re-install the Progressives after they're repaired has not been made.  I may sell 'em and just stick with the air-adjustable O.E.M shocks. 

marc

Yup...Had them on my 99 Wide Glide and loved them...Thinking about replacing the air shocks on my 04 FLHTCUI with 440's...

oldmansbike

I had a set of 440s on my 01 Roadking. Started with the standard springs rode terrible no matter where I set them. switched the springs to heavy duty and they rode pretty good for about 6 months then no matter where I set them it was a terrible ride. I checked everything else on the bike too thinking there was a problem somewhere else on the bike but there wasn't. Biggest waste of $400 I ever spent.
RIDE TO EAT AND EAT TO RIDE

Jeffd

put me in the camp that likes them and thinks they are worth it.  I have about 40-45000 miles on mine and they both started leaking and I sent them back and they got rebuilt pronto (couple day turn around)  I was amazed after riding so many miles with them I kind of gotten used to them and did not realize how much they helped until I put the stock ones back on.  One thing make sure you have original sales reciept or they won't honor the warranty.  Fortunately for me MAW still had me on file and sent me a copy of the reciept.  Both mine blew with in a few thousand miles but have been fine ever since.

djsim

I guess that's why this is a discussion forum...thanks for everyones replies, I'll probally go with the 440's from MAW.

D.S. :teeth:

Acetxx

I gotta say I could not tell any difference until they went to crap with 10,000 miles on them ,then they bottomed out on the smallest bump in the road. Now for the warranty...........Don't loose your receipt cause I was told I have to pay to get them fixed without it. I agree, the worst $400.00 I ever spent.

djsim

I went with the suspension technologies F series, definately feel the difference, rebound wise, $350. little more within my budget than the progressives. :up:

calbyker69

Now for the BIG question.
What are the alternatives to the 440's.
I have a set on my 07 SG which I took off my 01 EG and I have not been happy with them at all.

Eglider05

Quote from: calbyker69 on February 08, 2009, 01:40:42 PM
Now for the BIG question.
What are the alternatives to the 440's.
I have a set on my 07 SG which I took off my 01 EG and I have not been happy with them at all.

I've had the 440's (3 bikes) and although they are better than stock I prefer the Works Street Trackers I purchased last year. They're custom built for your weight, type of riding etc. and they aren't that much more $$. I think I paid $525. As their custom built they don't need as much adjustment range and are easier to adjust when needed. 4 settings, pop the pins on the bags and lean them out just enough to get your hand on the top of the shock, takes about 15 seconds per shock.

Rick

Justpassingas

Put me in the catagory of a waste of money....I  sent them back after 1 season to put the heavy duty springs in because they bottomed out riding solo and Progressive said they were leaking and that they must have been installed upside down....I ain't that stoopid....No matter what setting their on with the heavy duty they still bottom out....I put the airshocks back in and have been happy ever since....BTW I'm sending them back to rebuilt....again
For Duty and Humanity