April 27, 2024, 03:59:08 PM

News:

Another 440 shock question

Started by bladerunner, January 17, 2009, 02:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bladerunner

I found a great deal on 440`s  with the heavy spring   155/150 ...would they be tooooo stiff  for a  one up 150 lb rider on a 2001 Eglide ?     .....................bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

BJaxn

You would be unhappy with the heavy springs.
At 185lbs, I run the standards at nearly the lightest setting.
You could always swap the springs though.

hdpegscraper

Its gonna depend on if you like a soft floaty ride, or a firm responsive ride. I have the 440 heavy duty ones on my Dyna, about 40k on them, the preload is still backed all the way off and it only sags about a 3/8in when I sit on it. Now I only weigh 150 and ride solo most the time. Some may not like it this firm, but I do.

bladerunner

Can  " We " change these  springs  ourselves ? Or do we have to we have to send them back to  the factory ?  I don`t see  replacement springs  for the 440 series on the Progressive website...bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

96FLSTF

I am over 230# and tried the heavy spring which I hated on my 05 RKC. Changed the springs to the STD flavor & all is better.

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

Ken R

I weigh 160 . . .. Progressive recommended the light spring model 440's for my Ultra.  Not a good decision.  When my wife gets on, (shhhhhh) the suspension bottoms out.  The pre-load is fully compressed.  I'd recommend the heavy duty to anyone that is going to buy Progressive 440's.  I need to send mine back because they both leak.  I'll ask them to swap springs while there.  They offered to do that a few weeks after I bought 'em.   

I still don't know if I'm going to put 'em back on or not.  Strongly considering recharging my stock OEM shocks.  I like the idea of air adjust.

Ken

04glide

Im at 290# and the HD springs are almost too much for me.

gryphon

I'm running the 115/155 springs in my 440's and they're perfect. I weigh about 170lbs and with the preload set at 5 turns they are comfortable but never bottom out. This is with a short 11.5" shock.