April 27, 2024, 09:42:12 AM

News:

Cam gear case outer cover brass insert 1965 XLH

Started by cajun1957a, January 17, 2009, 02:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cajun1957a

Since we got a ton of snow up here, I decided to do a job I have been putting off.  The rattle i spoke about months ago I have isolated via a stethescope and have determined it was the lack of a material based washer on the Generator drive gear but not on the gen.  So off came the cam cover with some effort but i was carefull not to let the cams come out.  Upon inspection, I noticed the brass insert that is in the cam cover is stuck on the main gear shaft.  I think its the pinion shaft.  Anyway there is a keyway on that insert and its intact as is the aluminum cover.  Initially I though I had spun the insert and seized it onto the shaft, but given the key way tab and slot are both intact, that would not be the case.  They are in good shape with no wear or damage that would result in a seized insert.

My question is though, Its stuck on there.  Any ideas on how to get it off without damaging it.  Its tight yet it did not spin in the cam case cover.  Would heat help from a strong heat gun? 

Also prior to pulling anything off, i had a look at the cams for endplay.  All of them have equal play and given that i dont have a long feeler gauge I improvised and used a smal screw driver head and determined that they all had approx. .035 inches.  According to the book that is far to much.  The use of shims are in order, however any forum I have read info on says HD done away with those shims and they are not needed.  The wear on the cams too are even and centered on the lobs so given that, how does everyone feel about  those shims.  Should I or shouldnt I?  I have four .007 shims.  Incedently the motor never had shims on it since it was rebuilt so I will listen to those with far more knowledge than I.

Oh by the way my kids gave me a gold kit for the motor for Christmas.  It sure prettied it up.

randy

jmanjeff

a small 2 or 3 finger bearing puller should get it off the pinion shaft

I use cam shims i have around .010 play
1957  Sportster

cajun1957a

hey thanks, I didnt know they even had such a beast as a bearing puller.  Upon closer inspection of the cam case, it does look as though the insert has been spinning yet I cant for the life of me figure out how it came out without damaging the keyway or the key.  I guess though ill have to get a new one in there. 

I also have a 1968 xlch that im currently rebuilding.  it was on the bench so i pulled the tappet blocks out and the same end play is on this one as my 65 so I may slide a shim in but i dont think .007 will do much, but it can t hurt.  The 68 was quiet as far as noise from that side too. 

again Thanks

Randy

cajun1957a

I got the bushing off the pinion shaft.  It didnt take to much of a yank with a puller and i was carefull with it.  Does it have to be press-fitted into the gear case with a lot of force.  I am able to do it without a press so im wondering if its messed up.  I used a verniers to mic out the shaft and inside of the bushing.  The shaft is a consistant .565 inches.  The bushing is .566.  I expecting that to be a good tolerance.  the first quarter inch of the bushing is scored up a bit and was binding on the shaft but a little 2000 grit emery cloth has it going on tight but smoothly using only my fingers.

I called my local harley supply guy and he doesnt think that he can get bushings anymore, so my question do you think it will be ok using the exsisting bushing.  My concern is that i dont want the bushing walking up the shaft again.  There seems to be about a 1/4 inch of movement from being seated into the cam cover and from when the keyway will come out and allow the bushing to spin.  I assumed thats what happened.  The bushing worked its way outward past the keyway.  I checked the manual and can find any spacers or anything take up that 1\4.

randy

cajun1957a

i rechecked the mic readings and was off a tad......597 for the shaft and 5.98 for the bushing

randy

saltcaveminer

i would suggest you replace the bushing.the fit sounds like its way too loose.when you get the new bushing you may need to hone it to fit the pinion shaft.Salty

cajun1957a

Thanks Salty:

I had the original honed out two Thou and it fits nice now.  No grabing.  I reasembled the cam cover and for the first time I have been able to push it on without the use of a rubber hammer.  I guess that insert was never sized as to what i have been told.  Started it up and runs not too bad other than i had to replace that Mallory Electronic Distributor for the third time.  These things have a tendancy to loosed up internally and then all the timeing goes out of wack.  I have emailed Mallory and want their take on it.

Anyway one off topic question.  The 68 xlch i have has a mag with a key.  Someone fixed it so the key is always on.  how difficult is it to relace that key switch.  I want to sell this one when its done and I think it should have a key.

thanks

randy

saltcaveminer

randy i would be concerned with  just a  hand press fit into the case (it should be tighter)as far as the mag key switch can you check to see if the switch is bypassed?another option is to purchase a new mag cover with a new key switch installed.the key cores are very hard to find.Salty