April 27, 2024, 03:53:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

CAM TIMING

Started by amf 71flh, December 18, 2011, 08:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amf 71flh

barn bike was hard to start and backfired when I first bought it. also, it would break-down at anything over 3,000 rpm. owner stated he had the cam cover off so I guessed it would be a good idea to check cam timing. the first pic shows what i found in there, the second one shows the only other option i can see to set the cam up at. any imput?????

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

amf 71flh

screwed-up, first post shows 2nd option, this pic shows how I found it

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Lew

December 18, 2011, 10:48:19 AM #2 Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 11:01:52 AM by lewy
The second pic looks correct.  A compression check may be a good idea to help sort things out.
If it still won't run I'd be looking at fuel flow, points and condenser, advance unit, intake seals, and possibly the carb.  Backfiring (through the exhaust) is usually ignition/electrical related..as is breakup at rpm.

Lew 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

saltcaveminer

second pic looks correct.i would suggest inspection of the ignition system, cleaning and lubing the advance unit and strobe the engine at 2200rpm.Salty

garyajaz

what year?

i rebuilt a friends 1979 in trade for the swing arm and disc brakes for my 74.
he went ridgid frame chopper stuff.
any way, did head work/guides, valves , lapped seats
top end pistons.  all the stuff.
he initially tried disassembly.  did not remove points cover.  so when cam cover came out so did a couple cams.
i got it all sorted and put stock cams back in.  by the marks.
bike back fired and sorta ran.  i rechecked heads.  no leakage past valve/seats.
readjusted push rods.
checked timing, carb and intake.
sure did sound like cam timing.  removed cover and all marks good.
reassembled and same stuff.
got on line and found in 1979 (not my fav year anyway)some   had wrong timing marks.
was a few teeth off.
at the factory they just assembled with marks not lined up.  (nice huh?)
so after a third check i put in some +p's i had.  all ran great.
i think the cams in question were Q's  cant remember was a few years ago.
internet pulled my butt out  of fire on that one.

DJ Baar

I've ran PB+ cams in two old Ironheads (73 & 76) and both ran GREAT!  Get timing marks as close as physically possible and shim for clearance.

DJ Baar :smiled:
* Bring on the Ol'Skool Hot Rod Harleys!

amf 71flh

Gary

sorry, the bike is a 76 with stock P cams. The reason I suspect cam timing is the way the bike backfired through the exhaust when I tryed to start it and the owner had just had the cover off and told me since then he has been unable to time it with a strobe light. I've had cars in the past that jumped a tooth on the cam and had all sorts of driveabilty issues. It just sucks the rear exhaust cam mark won't line up perfect with the rear intake mark. So I will leave it the way I found it, 2nd pic, which looks the best, and focus on the carb and condenser. it's gonna be a long winter anyhow....

saltcaveminer

bikes that have been sitting for a long time need special attention.take some time (like all winter)and the beast will be a beauty again.Salty

garyajaz

been a while.
update us?
is it sorted?  what did you do?

(inquering minds want to know...lol)

amf 71flh

put it on e-bay and dumped it. I have enough bikes now that run right to keep up with....