May 06, 2024, 09:05:13 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

front end question

Started by buzzurd, January 18, 2009, 01:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzurd

What later model tubes and lower legs will fit my 75 FLH.
Buzzurd

MMOCGuy

It depends on how much you want to replace. If you want forks to fit your current triple trees, then you are limited to forks for 1949 -1977 FLHs. If you want to replace the triple trees as well, there are front ends available that fit all Harley frames from 1948 - 2009. There are some smaller but most are 41mm tubes all the way but the difference is is the internals and the top of the tubes where they meet the upper triple tree.

There are probably other guys on here that know more about it than I do but, since no one has chimed in yet, I thought I'd try to get it started.

I hope this helps.

Norm.

vern

front ends earlier than 81 or so are 1 and 5/8 inches newer than 81 are 41mm not much of a diff but enough

gryphon

I have used fork tubes as late as 2006 in the 1949 thru early 1984 trees. In fact, If you use your early wide glide trees you can install a late dual disc touring front end. The late twinkie stuff is cheap on ebay.

buzzurd

So a late model touring frontend up to 2006 will fit my 75 trees?
Buzzurd

MMOCGuy

Hey Gryphon.

What handlebars are those on your bike? Are they standard '71-'81 FL bars?

Thanks,

Norm.

76shuvlinoff

Norm, I think those are the ones he made from a couple different sets of bars?  Go back to the shovel main page and scroll down to "I made myself a set of bars.. (sort of) "

..... or I'm wrong and I'll forget that in 20 minutes too.

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

gryphon

January 19, 2009, 11:33:40 AM #7 Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 05:30:47 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
Okay, a two part answer. First Buzzard, If you have 1975 FLH triple trees then yes, you can simply install a set of forks from a 2000 and later touring bike and have the same front end seen in my picture. The biggest thing is the  length. If you use a set of tube assembly's for an FLST they will be about 2" longer than your stock FLH front end If this is acceptable to you then you will also need two inch longer lower fork tins. You can also get 2" shorter assembly's for the FLST and then you can use your stock tins. You are gonna need two fork tube assembly's ($140 ebay) a set of touring lower legs ($30 ebay) two calipers ($100 ebay) and (my preferred method) a set of 1996 and later handlebar controls with 11/16" master cylinder ($40 ebay). You will also need switches, brake lines, maybe fork seals (if they don't come with the new tube assembly's) and other minor misc stuff. Your stock Shovel fender will fit. If you want to run a new front wheel it's a no brainer. If you want to stay with your 3/4" axle front wheel I can tell you how to easily adapt a stock shovel dual flange wheel. By the way, all the stuff from ebay will be brand new take off items except the tube assembly's which will be new aftermarket.

Norm, Im sorry but I've had the bars in the picture above for probably 20 years and I don't remember even where I got them. In the pictures below is the set I made from some stainless buckhorns and some stainless Heritage bars. Almost identical but somewhat taller, wider and barely a little more pullback.

buzzurd

Thanks Gryphon....exactly the info I was looking for.Gotta love this place!!!!!!!!!
Buzzurd

MMOCGuy

gryphon

Buzzard, 
    I'm gonna make a suggestion here. If you decide to go with the late style front end, check out ebay numbers 270330813617 and 120354081463. This is a set of 2" under FXST fork tube assemblies and a Progressive fork kit. By installing the Progressive kit in the forks you will end up with the correct stock FLH length. You will also have the Progressive springs which, from my own experience are sooo much nicer than the stock springs. Very nice ride. You end up with barely over $220 into a set of fork tube assemblies that will also give you a much nicer ride. By the time you add the lower legs (new take off) and upper bushings you'll still have well under $300 into a new complete set of front forks. Both the venders above are on ebay all the time so there's no rush.

buzzurd

Thanks once more Gryphon.
Buzzurd