May 04, 2024, 06:40:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

valve to piston check

Started by darrelbarrows, January 18, 2009, 02:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrelbarrows

i need to check my valve to piston clearence. Is there a way to lock the lifters in pumped up position so i can do this? I am changing lifters so if i have to destroy them thats fine.

Reddog74usa

Just make it so the lifters will colasps by drilling a hole or whatever then adjust the lifters like they were solid lifters.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

darrelbarrows

thanks for the help. i was under the assumption that i had to check it with the lifter in the pumped up position.

Sonny S.

You do if you are using fixed pushrods.
Easiest way being as you have old lifters to work with is to make the old lifters rigid by some means. Like putting a spacer inside to keep it from collapsing at all. That way even if you have adjustable pushrods you don't have to adjust them as much.
Of course you can just extend the pushrods until your lifters bottom out and go from there.

darrelbarrows

im having the heads milled so i want to make sure i will not have any problems. I am going to be running adjustable pushrods.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: Reddog74usa on January 18, 2009, 02:58:04 PM
Just make it so the lifters will colasps by drilling a hole or whatever then adjust the lifters like they were solid lifters.

Ditto.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"