April 27, 2024, 02:21:42 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Show your FXR

Started by Reddog74usa, January 18, 2009, 08:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboprop

November 30, 2015, 05:22:59 PM #125 Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:29:29 PM by turboprop
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

P2D

turboprop

I didn't change the oil pump because of the iron cylinders. The Zippers ProFlow is a geroter type oil pump and is a pretty nice unit. Zippers stopped making them years ago. I bought a small cache of them that I found. 

No issues at all with the buttons. Added value is a can sleep at night not worrying if they have popped out, plus they are so easy to install and remove.

These cylinders actually run about the same temp as aluminum cylinders and I really like the separate base stud and head bolt design.

Unlike every aluminum cylinder, these ductile iron cylinders distort very little. Checking runout with and without torque plates shows practically no difference. And because there isn't a long steel stud and a aluminum cylinder with different expansion rates, gasket sealing is also a non issue.

All in all, I can say enough good things about ductile cylinders.

hrdtail78

Love the pump and cylinders.  The split shaft makes them real nice for FXR's.
Semper Fi

Racepres

About any Zippers Pro-Flow pump will kick butt against anyone elses pump...Especially on the Evacuation side, Where it is Needed.
No One Can ever ...Never say enough good about Axtell cylinders. Tough as a Ten inch Tiger Turd!
Look around at the Race track at a National Event, and see how these Companies are Represented!!

turboprop

Quote from: hrdtail78 on February 04, 2016, 05:55:21 AM
Love the pump and cylinders.  The split shaft makes them real nice for FXR's.

The early ProFlow oil pumps did not have a split drive shaft. This one does and yes, it is very convenient in an FXR type drive train.

turboprop

Quote from: Racepres on February 04, 2016, 06:23:16 AM
About any Zippers Pro-Flow pump will kick butt against anyone elses pump...Especially on the Evacuation side, Where it is Needed.
No One Can ever ...Never say enough good about Axtell cylinders. Tough as a Ten inch Tiger Turd!
Look around at the Race track at a National Event, and see how these Companies are Represented!!

Yep. The truth is always revealed at the track. Always.

P2D

Any thoughts on the iron cylinders doing big miles in a hot country?

When we get out into the country areas in summer, temps of 100F are pretty common. Shovels suffer badly.

Racepres

Quote from: P2D on February 04, 2016, 12:40:08 PM

When we get out into the country areas in summer, temps of 100F are pretty common. Shovels suffer badly.
\

Axtell???
Tough...Ya know??
Tough as a 10 inch Tiger Turd!!!
No Comparison, to OE...I think I coulda rode my IH dragbike in a Parade and still made a Smokin Pass...
Even in Clarksville, TN in Summer...100 ain;t nuthin...

turboprop

Quote from: P2D on February 04, 2016, 12:40:08 PM

IME, the shovels that suffer badly in heat are typically high mileage engines, with old shovel type hydraulic lifters, point ignitions, etc.

I live in southeastern North Carolina and rode a shovel for many years as my sole means of transportation, many of which were with a large motorcycle club. Lots of miles my shovel. But it was built very well, modern lifters, CV carb, modern electronic ignition, STD heads, tuned on a dyno, etc. That old shovel with iron cylinders did just fine in stop and go grid locked traffic, was ridden all of the country, no issues. Over the last twenty five years of living in NC, aside from my TC bagger, I can count the number of aluminum cylinders I have owned on one hand.

But hey, I am not going to continue with this debate on iron cylinders. This is an FXR thread.

P2D

Not meant to be a debate.

I'm torn between building my engine into something else, or buying a crate engine.

I like the cylinders. I've still got a set of 1250's here for a future Buell project so I'm just curious how well the iron ones would handle the heat in Aus.

Racepres

Quote from: P2D on February 04, 2016, 08:11:59 PM
Not meant to be a debate.

I'm torn between building my engine into something else, or buying a crate engine.

I like the cylinders. I've still got a set of 1250's here for a future Buell project so I'm just curious how well the iron ones would handle the heat in Aus.

Probably better.
Unless you get them "offshore" then ...who knows??

smokedyvr

My 86 FXR. The bars have been changed to BMX Drag bars 12".

79 80"FLH, 86 FXR, 96 FLHR

mel

May 17, 2016, 09:19:24 PM #138 Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:21:43 PM by mel
Here's my 1988 FXRS-Sp bought new while in the AF stationed in Germany.
1988 Low Rider Sport, 2001 Road King
USAF MSgt Retired 1969-1989

harleytuner

Customer brought this nice FXR from Wisconsin for a little work.  It's getting a Twin Cam 124" built in evo cases, a Trac swingarm and a laundry list of other goodies.  Should be fun.

turboprop

Some of my red bike. The new side covers are from my friend Joe Biesel at Deviant Fabrications.

Baddyna

mel

1988 Low Rider Sport, 2001 Road King
USAF MSgt Retired 1969-1989

Deye76

"and FL transmission"

Ed, I have a 5 spd gearset from a 2004 Roadglide, what case would I need to do what you plan? Delkron?
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

turboprop

Quote from: Deye76 on July 11, 2016, 06:04:45 PM
"and FL transmission"

Ed, I have a 5 spd gearset from a 2004 Roadglide, what case would I need to do what you plan? Delkron?

There are about four different things to address here.

1. My Zippers/Smack-A-Hoe TC124 is based on an S&S case with evo type rear engine mounts. The FL case that I amusing with this is from an evo era FL with a bottom oil pan. I think its from a '98. With this trans case I have to use an oil pan that  is modified to clear various portions of the frame, kickstand and right side foot control.

2. To put a conventional TC and transmission from a bagger into an unmodified FXR chassis also requires a modified oil pan for the same reasons as mentioned above.

3. To put a TC FL trans case into an FXR chassis, it is best to use a '99 or '00 trans case as the bolt pattern allows an FXR inner primary to simply bolt on. In '01, a bolt hole on the transmission was moved, prohibiting the easy installation of the FXR inner primary. The FXR inner primary is only needed if the intent is to run mid controls. Which I see no reason not to run mid controls on an FXR.

4. The 2004 gear set that you have will simply bolt into any Harley OEM FXR case that originally came with a splined main shaft. The real upgrade though is the shifter drum and pawl from that 2004. Many FXR owners get gear sets from late model five speeds but fail to swap out the drum, pillow blocks and pawl. The newer pawl uses a longer bushing. Some hacks will swap out the pawl and simply add washers but the correct way is to swap out the bushing. Swapping out the bushing takes maybe five minutes using the correct tool from Jims.

Deye76

Helps a lot, thanks Ed.
Add, mid controls a must.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

JC 92FXRS

July 13, 2016, 01:21:43 PM #146 Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 01:44:01 PM by JC 92FXRS
Another shot of the stock ol' girl in touring form from last week along the 570 east of Drumheller, Alberta, Canada.
Jeff
[attach=0]
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

turboprop

You can always spot the smart guys, they are on FXRs.

JC 92FXRS

Quote from: turboprop on July 13, 2016, 01:40:07 PM
You can always spot the smart guys, they are on FXRs.

:hyst: Mind if I use that line sometime?!  :teeth: I'll give credit.
Cheers, Jeff
"never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence"

turboprop

I don't own that line. Most FXR guys have been thinking it for years.