Supertrapp Slip Ons reinstall left side muffler

Started by flhs90, January 19, 2009, 06:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flhs90

Hey, I need a little help here. When I pulled the left side muffler to change tires it was pretty tightly on there. a buddy of mine twisted back and forth and I pulled on the rear exhaust pipe in the other direction. We used a little PB Blaster (good stuff for rusted bolts, etc.) in the slots. I didn't want to ding up the chromed slip on so was careful with the screwdriver trying to twist and open the 4 slots a little. By tapping with a screwdriver and hammer being careful we got it off.

Now the new problem. I need to get it forward about another inch onto the tailpipe. Other than some grease, oil, etc. on the tailpipe and hitting on the mounting tabs with a block of wood, what is the easiest way to reinstall a tight fitting slip on. Should I try and twist the slots open, or just what.
Also, there is some slop in the rubber mounted tail hanger. Do I need a new rubber insert that the slide mount slips in? Right side is tight.
Just getting a few minor things back up to snuff on an otherwise great ride. :wtf:
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon

JohnS_Rosamond

There really is no easy way to reinstall a slip on - especially on ethat was tight.  I don't think that bending the expansion area will help you much, and I don't think that greasing the tube would be a good idea.  You might try a little sandpaper on the inside of the mouth of the slip on.  I have also used a little RTV (slippery when fresh, acts as a sealer when dry).  I wouldn't hit the mounting tabs though too much.  Put a brock of wood against the end of the slip on, have someone hold the head pipe, and then use a hammer (lightly) on the wood.  The supertrapp end caps should be able to take it.  If you don't wanna do that, remove the end cap and put the wood against the body.  I don't believe that the diffuser discs stick out passed the end of the muffler body.

On the rubber piece, yes those start to squeak after a while.  They aren't very costly and if you have one that's really squeaky, I would just replace it (or you can shove something in there to take up the space - in the part where the metal tab goes).  The rubber will expand a bit more and that can buy you a little more time.

gofastmoose

Use a little Anti-seize. It will help get it no and off, and seal small leaks.

verson22

If it'll fit in the oven heat it up , 250* 10 - 15 minutes.

flhs90

Thanks guys:

I sanded the header pipe and the inside of the slip on muffler with 120 grit sandpaper. Then grabbed my bottle of anti seize. I could not believe how easy everything slipped back together. I then shimmed the rubber/metal mount tail hanger and that tightened everything back up.

I even took note of the Supertrapp serial #so I can learn more about the disc set up or baffles inside.
I keep learning about the bike.
Runs sweet for a stocker.

FLHS 90

Max Power= 57.8 HP @ 3300 RPM
Max Torque= 70.8 FT. LBS.  @ 3150 RPM

Adjustable pushrods, K & N Air-filter, CV9 Unknown jetting
Supertrapp Slipons Truel Duels

Where do I go from here; bike has 64K miles, runs great!
Does this bike sound like stock cam or mild aftermarket?
1980 FLH80, 1990 FLHS, 2006 FLSTS<br />Western Oregon