April 28, 2024, 07:55:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Trip meter took a crap on me

Started by Bumpy1959, January 19, 2009, 06:52:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bumpy1959

OK fellas and gals, before I remove my fairing and start mucking around maybe you can lead me in the right direction. The trip meter on my 1988 FLHTC is only registering about 1/2 of the actual mileage traveled. The odometer is still correct. I don't use my gas gauge, (broken), so I rely heavily on my trip meter to keep me from running out of gas out in the boondocks. Is this something I can fix or is this a replacement issue? I really doubt I'll find parts anywhere for this kind of fix.
Bumpy1959

Caper

Had the trip meter quit on my Heritage, only fix I could find was replace the speedo.

JohnS_Rosamond

It's all one assembly.  Sounds like one of the small gears has let go.  There's no way to fix it by itself since it's a sealed unit.  You'll probably have to replace it.

gofastmoose

I have an 89 FLHTC same thing. $160 to replace it.

still_havinfun

hey, gofast, where did you get your replacement speedo for that 89?

Bumpy1959

WELL CRAP! Looks like I'm gonna have to start figuring out my destination mileage a little closer! Fortunately I still have my odometer but darn it I can't ever remember my odometer reading from gas stop to gas stop!!!
Thanks for your input it's much appreciated!
Bumpy

FSG

....... The trip meter on my 1988 FLHTC is only registering about 1/2 of the actual mileage traveled.

simple math ,  mutiply the trip meter by 2

gofastmoose

I didn't buy anew one. The HD dealer said they could get anew one.
You have to buy the who instruments panel($160).

I just pulled my trip meter apart, moved the bad tumbler to the left.
It works, but the orange tumbler is on the left now.
All the tumbler are the same.

still_havinfun

thanks, i don't have any trouble with the trip meter, that part works good as new. the speedo on mine changes speed with the temperature. i played with the spring on the indicator needle and got it to register the right speed after a few miles but thats a pain driving with the tach till all is normal. i'll havta talk to jenni about this.

gofastmoose

To  Still_HavingFun
Sound like a bad speedo cable.
I had that same problem with my 65 Ford pickup. But it had 300,000 miles on it.

still_havinfun

i changed the speedo cable, housing, and drive unit on the front axle last year and it didn't help anything. i probably will play with it some more when it warms up this spring. it's hard for me to get motivated to work in a cold garage anymore especially when you have to pull off the fairing front to get to anything. it's very hard to work on anything through the head light hole.

Phu Cat

Bumpy, If all else fails I use a grease pencil to write the milage on my speedo when I changed my oil last. 

Do ya have a GPS?  That ought to help with milage estimates.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Bumpy1959

That's a pretty darn good idea! I got motivated the other day and took my gas guage Assembly out of the gas tank and finally figured out what was wrong with it! (Bad connection in between the round part, (disc), that attaches to the tank and the arm that hangs down into the tank inself. They weren't touching properly.).
Anyhoo, I at least have a gas guage now. I just have to figure out when empty really means empty!
Bumpy