April 27, 2024, 04:34:04 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

"Idiot" GEN Light?

Started by DJ Baar, January 09, 2012, 01:06:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Baar

When I rewired my 74 Superglide I noted that no "GEN" light to let you know if bike was not charging.

Had charging failure yesterday and found out that bike was running on battery until it wore down.  (Luckily I got home before finding this out.  Went to start bike again and battery was worn down....)

Alternator with solid state Rectifier/Regulator: 2 wires off stator (plug) to regulator and one wire to battery and ground provided by regulator case to frame.  With old generator and regulator light came on when ground provided by "A" terminal on the generator (basically armature getting voltage induced - not charging).

Suggestions?

DJ Baar :scratch:
* Bring on the Ol'Skool Hot Rod Harleys!

a_disalvo

I can tell you what I did w/ my '79. Checked internet under battery voltage sensors and found a unit that will monitor your charging system, very small led that I drilled a 1/8" hole in dash panel to mount, and sensor module about 1" square. Lights red when not charging, flickering pink for that in-between stage, and green when all is well. Aside from mounting a digital or analog battery voltage gauge, this does it all. There are several units out there that will all do the same thing. Regards, Frank

DJ Baar

Thanks Frank. 

I did find a Dyna Voltage Monitor through J&P Cycles, but will look for what will work best.  Having battery run down and not knowing is a BAD situation.  (Especially for a tall Stroker Shovel!)

Baar

97FLSTC

Here's one from J&P. Looking to do the same thing: stator went out summer before last. Was able to bump start it and make it to a dealer, as I was 200 miles from home.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/382-167

$39.99

97FLSTC

January 09, 2012, 12:12:27 PM #4 Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 12:25:15 PM by 97FLSTC
Here's an ebay one: 13 bucks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6v-12v-24v-LED-Battery-level-voltage-monitor-meter-J-/200627678428?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item2eb6576cdc

EDIT: just ordered this one.  Can't go wrong for the price !

easyricer

I still have the stock 22 amp (i think) alternator on mine. With the fairing radio, spotlights, running lights and the turn signals, I can usually tell when it's time to go for a longer ride to recharge the battery. Although my electric starter works (most of the time) I hardly ever use it.
In the evenings, coming home from work, if my battery is low, the turn signals will make the headlight flutter in sinc with the flasher. Same with the brake light.
I have thought several times to add a volt meter or amp gauge but have not had much need for it since I can usually catch it.
Kury Akyn has a neat little volt meter that is only an inch tall and about 1 1/2 inches long that can go almost anywhere. I'll probably go that route if I ever do.
EASY
Just ride the damned thing!

DJ Baar

I do like that one from J&P 97FLSTC pointed-out and will see about mounting light where old GEN light (not used) goes on my dash.  Luckily I don't run lights unless its dark.  I do have a 32 amp charging circuit because of Big Bore battery required to start this ol'Stroker (sorry Guys - this ol'grey beard's knees just aint doing no kicker no more -  :hyst: ).

Thanks for the feedback; thats what I like about this site Bikers helping Bikers  :chop:

DJ Baar

Robertgtti

i think mine is wired:
GEN= hi beam
center one = neutral
OIL- oil press

:scratch:
Freedom is Just Another Word for Nothing Left to Lose...

HotRodShovel

on my three light dash I wired the center (blue) for neutral and the oil and gen red lights on the right and left of the neutral are wired into my directionals. I installed a Badlands self cancelling turn signal module. The lights cancel after 11 seconds. The problem was I never knew if they were on or off so now they flash on my dash. Its perfect. I installed a small (same size) LED battery power indicator light on the dash.
It is steady green from 13.2 to yellow at 11.8 to red at 11.2...it flashes in between.  Thankfully I never got that far down to see red.

Its simple, looks perfectly at home on the dash and its a good thing to have....

If you want I can find it on ebay and get you the item number.
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John