April 27, 2024, 09:57:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Top End Measurements

Started by johnr733, January 19, 2009, 07:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnr733

Surfing the forum, I noticed a lot of you are very exact about squish, base gasket and head gasket measurements on your builds.  I have a '97 RK which is bored out to 88 cu in.  The cylinders and pistons are S&S, (which are .225 shorter than stock cylinders).  Bean is currently doing my heads, and I have a Cometic Big Bore Top end gasket kit for the reinstall.

Now I was under the impression that I would only have to clay the engine to check the piston reliefs, but now I'm starting to think I need to do a lot more.  Thoughts?

wfolarry

I have the same setup on my bike & everything was right on the money. I wouldn't be too worried about it. I didn't clay the pistons I just checked the deck height & it was fine. Never hurts to check to be sure but S&S are good kits. If you had somebody else's pistons then you would have to check everything very carefully.

johnr733

January 19, 2009, 08:26:43 PM #2 Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 08:50:45 PM by johnr733
Were u using S&S heads or stock heads?  And Cometic gaskets or S&S's?

Thanks.

wfolarry

johnr733

Excellent, thanks, oh wait, what Cam were u running, I'll be using a DM530, (Dave Mackie 530 lift).