April 30, 2024, 06:40:44 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

1971 SPORTSTER, what should I know before I buy?

Started by Shooter1, January 19, 2012, 07:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shooter1

I have a chance to buy a '71 Sportster that is mostly original and not all whored up. It needs a front brake disc and front master cylinder/lever assm, front brake line, and a speedo and tach to be complete. I know those parts will cost me some $$ to get, especiall the speedo/tach. The bike has both kick and the button. I've seen close up high def pics of the bike and it looks pretty clean and straight. The owner says it runs/starts well, but I realize that means nothing until I confirm it in person. My questions is, is there anything particular I should look for on this model year. I owned a '74 XLH, a '75 XLCH and an '81 XLH many years ago when I started riding H-D's and though if I could ever find a clean old iron head that didn;t need to much I might buy it. Thanks for any repleis regarding this model year Sporty.

Thanks
-Harv
'89 FXRSSp
'00 FXDX SG Sport
And a couple dirt bikes.....

garyajaz

nibroc

Quote from: garyajaz on January 19, 2012, 08:29:37 PM
1971 was not disc brake bike.

yeah----that's right and last year for 900---too bad it didn't have a magneto thanks to ralph nader and later on he even "Potty mouth"-canned the left brake

eglideic

saltcaveminer

not exactly sure what your desires are but the entire front end is not original 71. will it function?sure  it will (also will brake better) just depends on what you want.Salty

Lew

If the bike is clean and original, except for the front end (and the price is right), I wouldn't sweat it.  Lots of parts on ebay.  With some patient shopping it would not be a problem finding the right parts for a reasonable price.  Put together the right front end and sell the one on it now.  Would make a nice project with a nicer outcome.  IMHO
Complete running -71 Sportsters are few and far between these days.

Lew 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-