April 28, 2024, 05:56:02 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

He let me go!!!!!!!!!

Started by hotham, January 19, 2009, 11:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotham

I have 2 bikes, my Harley and a Yamaha FJR1300.  Took each one for a ride today.  It hit a smoking 46 degrees.  Must have gotten to big a hand full on the Yamaha, got stopped.  Cop says pretty bike but try to hold it down.  Wanted to know a little bit about the bike.  I told him it was 145 hp, shaft drive, electric windshield, etc.  He said 145hp?  How much?  I told him 13k.  He wanted to know why his Harley cost 24k and had none of those things.  I agreed and told him my "true love" was my Harley, but in bad weather and long trips this FJR was hard to beat.  I appreciated his interest and of course, no ticket.

Phu Cat

Maybe the cop was havin a good day, or maybe you weren't an A%*wipe.  Showin a little respect goes a long way.  It took quite a few years for me to learn this the hard way.

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

RK101

Him being a rider himself might have helped some also. What ever the reason it was all good. :teeth:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Dennis The Menace

"Showin a little respect goes a long way.  It took quite a few years for me to learn this the hard way."   

Truer words have never been spoken...same here.  My hard head has gotten softer over the years, thank goodness.

Good to see ya got a break, HH.

menace

Bakon

Attitude plays the biggest part.

Being a rider also got you the break.

Take these two as fact. ....BUT ....Sometimes the attitude just isn't enough if the cop had to go like crazy to catch up.

Slow down immediately if you know they are coming for you.

Sorry- the best thing you can start the whole conversation with.

Never happen again, I should have known better...

In Virginia this wont work...even if you carry a tin :embarrassed:
wasting time

northbrun

worked for me in va. got pulled over doing 95 in a 70 zone. swamp cop puled me over i was real polite, and after letting him read me the riot act for 15 min he let me go. then i followed him about 1 mile down the road past a 10 car speed trap........... guess it was my luckey day!

someday69

once I came over a little rise on the garden state parkway going to cape may,,as soon as I started down the slop of the hill I saw him,and got off the throtle,,,,as I passed his light went on,,,,,I pulled over so fast I was almost just 100 yards from his spot,he crossed the street and there I was ,,,,,,hands on the bars helmet and gloves off....I got a warning...very lucky...somedays...

tireater

I was doing about 100 on the freeway trying to catch my buddy at night between bars...A CHP put the lights on 6" behind me...
I was in the fast lane and took my time pulling over so my buddy could get away...When I pulled over the cop went racing by me...
He looked like he was chasing my buddy so I took the next exit and found a nice, quiet place to hide...
I wait a half hour and call my buddy...He said they pulled up..On the P.A. said 'keep it under 75 and don't forget to tell your friend Andre'...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

road-dawgs1

We're not all bad hardasses ya know :wink:
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

neale

I too learned that the best approach is to shut my big mouth, mind you I shot myself in the foot a few times before it clicked in my pea-brain to do so. :teeth:

Panzer

See....even the law is here, listening.
Behave !!! :embarrassed:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Clintster

I have a good one, was pulling out of the carwash in my truck.  So I am horsing around, wet tires and getting into it a little.  Well the freaking thing gets away a little, I'm sideways on a four lane access highway. Hardly any traffic, I looked but didn't see the Sherriff.  Go just a little ways, pull into the condo driveway, he pulls up behind me.  First thing out of his mouth, how old are you !!, I start off apologetic as all hell.  He reads me the riot act and he is getting off.  Well I let him go on and I'm still apologizing.  Well just as he is about to walk a way, I say you know the worst part, my job requires my drivers license.  Show him my County ID, he cames back and tells me I played my cards right.  He just wrote me a warning, good thing too that would have been one of those big bucks many points violations.  So the Guys all ask me now How Old Are You !!
Drive fast, take chances

FSG

QuoteSo the Guys all ask me now How Old Are You !!

Well are you gonna tell us ? :hyst:

Big Dan

I was haulin' arse for home, way down in Southern Illinois. I spotted him as I came over the hill, but it was too late. I pull over, kill the bike, and we have the following conversation:

Him: You know why I pulled you over?

Me: Oh yeah. How bad is it?

Him: 107

Me: Ooh.... this ain't gonna be good, is it?

Him: Probably Not

Me: Well, I ain't mad at ya.

Him: Wha....??

Me: Hell, I done it and ya caught me fair and square.

He shakes his head and goes back to his car, then comes back and hands me a ticket for 77, and says "Your honesty saved your tail on this one. Now slow it down."

I said "Yes sir, and thank you very much."
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

tireater

Got pulled over for 72 in a 55 on a windy mountain highway...The cop had been sitting in the same place for 3 days...
He said I was getting a ticket right off...So I was pissed...I said 'I passed you twice a day for 3 days in the same place...right?'...
'I saw you for the last 3 days' he says...'So you are saying I sped by your car even though I knew where you were?'...
'Yep' he says...I said 'My T shirt says "Some of my best friends are white people...Not...Here is stupid'...
'Let's see if the judge buys your story...!' He was mad and went back to his car, called in my perfect record and came back and said...
'I'm gonna let you off ...but I think you have a poor attitude'...I thanked him and left....
You will never see a cop sit for 3 days in the same place on highway 154 again...
And for the record...my ADHD kept me from remembering where he was at...but it seemed like a good bluff...
He acted like he was saving my life...I was right down the center and riding safely...

HDRDR

I never speed or break the law :dgust: But I lie to save my A$$ :smiled:

Ultrashovel

January 20, 2009, 06:33:50 PM #16 Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 06:35:56 PM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: tireater on January 20, 2009, 04:48:03 PM
Got pulled over for 72 in a 55 on a windy mountain highway...The cop had been sitting in the same place for 3 days...
He said I was getting a ticket right off...So I was pissed...I said 'I passed you twice a day for 3 days in the same place...right?'...
'I saw you for the last 3 days' he says...'So you are saying I sped by your car even though I knew where you were?'...
'Yep' he says...I said 'My T shirt says "Some of my best friends are white people...Not...Here is stupid'...
'Let's see if the judge buys your story...!' He was mad and went back to his car, called in my perfect record and came back and said...
'I'm gonna let you off ...but I think you have a poor attitude'...I thanked him and left....
You will never see a cop sit for 3 days in the same place on highway 154 again...
And for the record...my ADHD kept me from remembering where he was at...but it seemed like a good bluff...
He acted like he was saving my life...I was right down the center and riding safely...

72 in a 55 and you were pissed about getting a ticket? Why was that? If you get stopped for that in California, you will generally get a ticket. Nothing to get upset aobut. Over here, you do the crime, you do the time...or pay the fine, usually about $350 nowadays. I'm glad he let you go. They seldom do that over here.

:pop:    :potstir:

MikeL

I was leaving Williams HD after I had picked up parts on my Busa. One of the salesmen there is a Busa freak and he asked me to womp on it. So I did. Had her up to 175 with the front wheel a couple of inches off the ground. I backed off hit the right lane doing the 55mph, low and behold the cherries. He was parked in a motel entrance. The thought did occur to out run him, I have done this maybe 20yrs ago but not now so I stopped. I had remembered that I did not have my registration or insurance card they were drying out from getting caught in the rain down in FL the day before riding back from the Key West poker run and I couldn't shut the bike off cause it needed a new battery.  The cop was just a kid I could easily be father, explained to me the virtues and the faults of owning something this powerful. He had just sold his gixer 600.I thought here we go impound time. He did the routine check via his car computer and let me go with a written warning. I felt lucky but I do know he didn't have me on radar because my radar detector was silent. Maybe if he had hard proof like a 175mph on the screen things may have been different. I was really nice to him and I feel the lack of a bad attitude saved me from a "Potty mouth" load of legal problems.

MIKE

Ultrashovel

If I said I once got a ticket for doing 147 in a 25 mph school zone I wonder if anyone would belineve me?  :pop:   :hyst:

tireater

35 years ago a guy on my paper route gave me a ride in his dual turbo Pantera...
We left town on the freeway and went by a CHP station way too fast with a parking lot full of cops...
The cop cars did about 125 then and we hit 180 at some point...He drove about 15 miles and pulled into a rest stop...
He locked the car and we sat on a picnic table waiting for the CHP...It seemed like 5 minutes before the first cop got there...
I expected the guy to go to jail...Insted the cops really liked his car...They chatted it up for 10 minutes...
Then they let him go with a promise to take it easier....They even thanked him for stopping as they could not catch him...

Robsrg

CHP- I clocked you going 70 in a 55
ME- Sorry, just wasn't paying attention and was trying to get home before I froze. ( sun went down and didn't dress for it )
CHP- It's not that cold outside.
Me- w/ a smile on my face, how bout you ride my bike and I'll drive your cruiser, It's cold to me.
CHP-Wasn't to cold this afternoon when I rode my bike.
ME- No, it was perfect this afternoon
After checking my papers, he told me to be careful and slow down, and no ticket!!

hotham

Many years ago I stopped in Lovelock, Nevada to get something to eat.  I was in a hurray to get to Lake Tahoe.  Several old gentlemen started talking about the Harleys they had back in the day.  I decided to show off a little.  Left the parking lot in a hurray, grabbed second and pulled a big, long wheelie.  Just as I sat her down , I see the town constable coming the other way.  Pulled me over and asked what I thought I was doing.  I told him I was showing off for the old guys in the diner.  He wanted to know if I was leaving town.  I said yes and he said, "good".  No ticket

kickstart

Quote from: hotham on January 22, 2009, 11:56:07 PM
Several old gentlemen started talking about the Harleys they had back in the day.  I decided to show off a little.  Left the parking lot in a hurray, grabbed second and pulled a big, long wheelie. 

told him I was showing off for the old guys in the diner.  He wanted to know if I was leaving town.  I said yes and he said, "good".  No ticket
I'll be those olguys were rolling in the parking lot
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

dohmixer

I caught a break last summer riding up one of our two lane roads through the foothills posted 55. I seen him top the hill from the opposite direction and immediately rolled off the throttle. He passed by and quickly made a u-turn to get behind me. He flipped on his lights and I signaled and pulled over to the shoulder.
CHP I clocked you at 69.
Me Yessir
CHP License, Registration, Proof of Ins.
Me; digging in my tool bag to get out the paperwork.
CHP nice bike, hows your driving record?
Me; fine till now sir
CHP don’t sweat it I just want to check your papers and if they’re in order I’ll let you go with a warning. He mentioned something about being clocked 15mph over the limit was an absolute ticket able offense.
Me; THANK YOU SIR. I was going well over 69 when I first seen him. It was all about the attitude which took me many years to learn as has been mentioned in previous posts.
2000 Dyna Wide Glide     Union Baker BCTGM Local#85

tireater

Wear your colors...I got a buddy who was in swift boats in Nam...He wears his vest which is covered with his combat awards...
He always rides too fast and gets pulled over often...They always let him go...Maybe it's the silver or bronze stars...???