May 05, 2024, 07:36:58 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Don't boycott Myrtle Beach Rally

Started by mokeypoole, January 20, 2009, 02:43:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mokeypoole

Lots of talk about Myrtle Beach this year.  It is only the city that has passed the helmet law.  Most activities take place outside the city limits.  This same tactic was tried years ago by Daytona and Laconia.  Bikers did not boycott, events were moved out of the city, and the rallies grew and became bigger than before.  The cities then had to change their plans and welcome the bikers again.  There are lots of motels in North Myrtle and Surfside.  Just bring a helmet if you want to pass through the city of Myrtle Beach.  No big deal.  Don't cave in to a few politicians.   Let them set up their big police force and not have anyone stay inside the city.  The loss of tax income should hurt them real quick. 

I am a SC resident and hate to see a city doing this more than anyone, but I am not going to let a few old farts take my weekend from me

Mokey

Princess Butt

When I went there years ago, I preferred staying in North Myrtle. It was more laid back, quieter, and less touristy.

The better revenge than not going at all is to go nearby, so they can look out past their city limits and see the tax revenue spent immediately outside their jurisdiction.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

HDFAT2001

:up:  We're going, unfortunately my place is in the city, but I own that.  Aside from staying at MY place "NOT ONE DIME IN '09" in the City of the 4th Reich.  Horry County Bike week is on!!!

Tsani

They should change the name to The Horry County Bike Week. That should go up their gigy chute with a wawa brush! I like the name, kinda puts ideas of wishful thinkin in yer head! Jes funnin ya! Ain't no way Myrtle Beach is getting any of my change!
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

RK101

Darned shame really for those who like bike weeks, you have one area playing by two different sets of rules.  :dgust:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

ULTRADOG

:down: I WILL NOT GO FOR YOU OR ANY OTHER RESIDENT OF THAT STATE OR CITY THEY DONT WANT ME OR MY MONEY THERE F#$% EM AND THEY CAN TAKE THAT TO THE BANK WHEN THEY DECIDE IN THE FUTURE OHHHHH   WE MESSED UP PLEASE COME BACK JUST LIKE THE FOOLS IN DAYTONA :pop:
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

RK101

I can see it now. Many riders including myself have no clue where the city limits starts and ends. I guess you'll find out though when you get two bocks inside and your not wearing a helmet or you pipes are to loud. Sounds like more fun then I care to take part in. I do feel bad for some of the businesses a residents that enjoyed having us there. I know myself I've always found the people of M/B friendly enough. I had a waitress tell me that know one tips like bikers. Certaily not the golf ball chasers. 
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Faast Ed

Seems like those events are more about the vender's, restaurants and hotels.   
Having fun is not their concern, only your wallet and the size of your cargo space.
≡Faast Ed>

Coasty

We have a large group from MD that rides down every year.  Just because we can we all have decided this year not to participate.  We stayed in Myrtle Beach (city limits) and had canceled our rooms.  One of the guys is in the corporate part of a large hotel and we get the rooms really cheep.  Even though F-Them we decided to put our coin in the Maryland Ocean City bike week which is a blast.  Sorry Myrtle Beoch!

Coasty

Faast Ed

Ouch!  Those 'large block cancellations' gotta sting!

I suspect that room prices shall become cheaper this year?  LOL
≡Faast Ed>

mayor

This year will be our 8th in a row, and probably our last.  We stay in N.Myrtle and usually only go into Myrtle to go to B&M Cycle.  This year, no B&M...I'm avoiding anywhere that will single me out for "special" treatment.   I wouldn't care if they forced all the vendors to leave, I just don't want singled out for harassment.  Myrtle has so little affect on the overall event, doubt much changes though.  That event stretches for over 40 miles, only a touch of that is actually MB city limits.  like I said though, this is probably the last for us...
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

1997bagger

MB City Managers response to MB bike week.

XXX, thank you for your email. We are not trying to push motorcycles out of our community. We are trying to end the Spring Motorcycle Rally, because it has grown too large and last too long. Several hundred thousand motorcyclist for 10-14 days. Our residents have said enough. The Rally is not a special event that gets a permit and limits the events in a way that doesn't negatively impact the residents. They are advertised and organized by promoters who do little to taper the negative impact of noise and traffic.

Before you ride off in a huff, look at this from the point of view of residents. They deserve some relief and balance....and heretofore, there has been no balance with the Spring Rally.

Tom Leath
City Manager
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?

Skullfork

Cancelled my reservations last week at Captain's Quarters for both the bike week and the week I take the family in August.  The lady I spoke to on the phone said I wasn't the first to do so and that reservations are way down at this point for bike week.  Too bad though because CQ's was a very friendly biker hotel and we've been staying there the last 5 years.

I'll be heading to Thunder Beach instead this year ...

Fxstchewy

I can agree with both sides opinions, one says "i won't go anywhere where they don't want me" and the other that "says to heck with that, i going anyway". I look at it like this all this stuff has passed in MB because of a few complaining residents and the actions of a few at the rallys, everytime i go i have ALWAYS had a hotel worker, waiter/waitress, even some on the MB police say they are glad we are here, all the places i frequent are biker friendly and say so.
Now when i go i stay at the Sea Mist in MB, they have always went out of their way for us, we always get the same room, if we have a problem they take care of it. i am probably more laid back at the rallys than most, usually get up early and ride to breakfast check out a few places and back at the room for lunch then grab a cooler and head to the beach/sundeck to relax.
I don't know what we are going to do at this point but i like going and the helmet issue doesn't bother me much because i have to wear one in my home state, the loud pipe thing is now up to 89db at idle. so i feel like what the city council is trying to do is dissuade people from coming but if you show up and only spend money at biker friendly places it will have a effect.
there are a very few vocal/locals that want a quiet beach town, they are complaining about the golf crowd also, so i say if you want to go.....go. JMHO, Chewy       
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

1JITSU1

Glenn W

January 21, 2009, 04:47:32 PM #15 Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 06:53:24 PM by Glenn W
I don't understand why anyone would spend a dime in an area that went out of their way to make sure I wasn't wanted there and would be treated poorly if I did show up. They want to make bikers feel unwelcome, fine with me. I remember plenty of motels that wouldn't give a room to ya in the '70s if ya rode up on a bike. I also remember purposely not staying at them when I came by car, too.
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

iconicbikesrider

Where do I spend my money? where I feel welcome and my hard earned dollars are spend very wisely.
Those residents in MB don't want me? I am not invited or welcome? I should not go. To me is very simple to go somewhere else. Plenty of places that welcome me, my bike and my money. Plenty. Just don't sweat it and go somewhere else. Those guys going to Ocean City, good for them. Wise decision. I am going to Daytona this year and hopefully to Sturgis. I am looking forward for those trips. Happy riding you all.
Riding Iconic motorcycles Made In USA.

dakota224

There will be over 100.000 people there anyway`s.  so screw the town folks.. :hyst:

Willie D

Quote from: 1997bagger on January 20, 2009, 07:48:48 PM
MB City Managers response to MB bike week.

XXX, thank you for your email. We are not trying to push motorcycles out of our community. We are trying to end the Spring Motorcycle Rally, because it has grown too large and last too long. Several hundred thousand motorcyclist for 10-14 days. Our residents have said enough. The Rally is not a special event that gets a permit and limits the events in a way that doesn't negatively impact the residents. They are advertised and organized by promoters who do little to taper the negative impact of noise and traffic.

Before you ride off in a huff, look at this from the point of view of residents. They deserve some relief and balance....and heretofore, there has been no balance with the Spring Rally.

Tom Leath
City Manager

I think you have to see both sides of this situation. I firmly believe that it has been the 2% that has screwed it up for all of us.
Most bikers are law abiding and have respect for the locals that have respect for them. Doing burnouts and revving your bike jst to aggravate is Stupid and as a result this has been the MB response. But I agree, if we as a group are discouraged from going and are now welcome, well . . . go where we are welcome.
JMHO.
'All gave some, Some gave All"

sterco

Save your money and just hit Sturgis SD. No helmets. Lots of good fun and good bikers. You will be more than welcomed!!! Pretty sure that if you do it once you will do it year after year!!!

harley2k2

as i said before, and i will say it agian. SCREW EMM. they dont need my money the have plenty to be running people off when everbody needs all the dollars they can get durung these trying times. for those of you that live there and want us to come, sorry not going to happen for me. i will be off to thunderbeach in panama city florida. if you havent been you should go, they for now like us there.

nibroc

Quote from: sterco on January 24, 2009, 01:42:15 PM
Save your money and just hit Sturgis SD. No helmets. Lots of good fun and good bikers. You will be more than welcomed!!! Pretty sure that if you do it once you will do it year after year!!!
:wtf: AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

smoldrn

There's something like only 2600 residents of the city who don't want the rally here. They cannot legally give you a ticket (city cops) for helmet or pipes on either Bus 17 or 17 Bypass as these are federal highways. Even the city cops have said that they're not gonna pull people over for loud pipes if you're just riding, only the idiots who want to sit at the light and keep twisting the wick.

quikbike

not going ever

my money stays out of MB
I hate snow

Fxstchewy

Quote from: smoldrn on January 25, 2009, 04:32:36 AM
There's something like only 2600 residents of the city who don't want the rally here. They cannot legally give you a ticket (city cops) for helmet or pipes on either Bus 17 or 17 Bypass as these are federal highways. Even the city cops have said that they're not gonna pull people over for loud pipes if you're just riding, only the idiots who want to sit at the light and keep twisting the wick.

That's good info.
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

tireater

Ya gotta love selective enforcement...Just the wick twisters...Just the patchers...Just the choppers....
Trouble is...they eventually get around to you...and then the testilying begins and your luck ends... :down:
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Faast Ed

QuoteEven the city cops have said that they're not gonna pull people over for loud pipes if you're just riding, only the idiots who want to sit at the light and keep twisting the wick.

They interviewed every cop?   
≡Faast Ed>

Glenn W

FWIW, Where I live in Wisconsin was at -18° last week, hadn't been on a vacation in a long time and my fiance had a week of time share trade to use up by the end of Feb. There was an opening in MBeach. I'm typing this from Kissimmee FL :smiled: No reason for me to visit MBeach by jet if they don't want me by bike :wink:
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

les

Darn.  I was planning on going this year.  Looks like Myrtle Beach is now a "never again" on my list.  That's too bad.

mayor

Quote from: mayor on January 20, 2009, 07:27:00 PM
This year will be our 8th in a row, and probably our last. 

well, I cancelled my reservation on Friday.  My wife and I was the only ones left from our group, so we decided to go else where.  Looks like we're going somewhere new this year. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions