May 10, 2024, 06:47:22 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mild strokers

Started by dusty1, January 25, 2012, 07:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dusty1

When the time comes,im wanting to stroke my 80/80 stock engine.Reliability is extremely important to me,thus a mild stroker is in mind.Im planning on leaving stock bore to keep costs down & getting a new S&S crank (4.50" stroke) which would make it an 86" motor.Would i need spacer plates under cyldrs?Also,would dual plugging heads be necessary with stock compression?Stock compression in a mild stroker like that ok?I dont want to get away from points ignition either.Just tryin to get a game plan together...  :scratch:

shovelbill

i think this is a very smart engine build........i'd look into other options instead of an S&S crank if cost is a factor.....S&S makes a decent product, but quality control has gone down and the cost hasn't......a bump to 8.5:1 compression is perfect, won't sacrifice anything....nothing wrong with points..i don't think you NEED dual plugs, but i think they make a hemi head run better....i'd also go with a quality electronic ignition though.........no stroker plates necessary....pick and choose your componants wisely.

i'm gonna keep watch on this thread........i really like nice "smaller" motors......i have an 80" myself.
build it, bust it.....figure out why

Hillside Motorcycle

Nothing really wrong with a 4 3/4" arm either.
Built a bunch of them. OEM cylinders.
Single plug, Andrews B cam, S&S E carb, Cycle Shack staggered duals, is a nice, tame combo.(more can be had for hot-rod, but that's another story)
Folks love 'em.
They run and run, year after year. :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

turboprop

Use the Truett & Osborne Heavy Torque Monster wheels. I second the electronic ignition, get rid of the pounts and the mechanical advance. More adjustability and zero maintenance. CV carbs have proven to be worth doing on shovelheads and pretty low cost.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

dusty1

Didnt know about S&S quality control problems.I was kinda leanin towards T&O anyways.Standard or torquemonster flywheels?Whats the difference?Bike mostly used for long trips & occasionally hot roddin around town too.Definetely not goin bigger than 4.50" stroke though.

turboprop

The torque monsters are heavier, way heavier, and very nice on a shovel. You will really like them.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

HotRodShovel

I used T&O Torque Monsters in my 96". They are 5 lbs heavier than stock wheels and you can feel the difference A LOT.  If you are going to split the cases, do it right the first time and in my opinion use T & O TM's
Sometimes life is like trying to share a sandwich with Rosie O'Donnell. 
John

shovelbill

hey Scott........were those 88" motors built with 8 1/4" wheels.....custom pistons?

to the best of my knowlege, and the info we've compiled elsewhere, the Torque Monsters are the heaviest stroker wheels out there.........but they're not heavier than the old stock Harley wheels (pan/early shovel).......they're supposed to be 5 pounds heavier than EVO wheels.

the Ultima "heavy" wheels weigh 27 pounds........on the same scale the S&S wheels my friend just weighed are 26 and change, but they were drilled.

here are torque monsters on a different scale........fwiw.........everyones' scale is different.

HotRodShovel

Hey Bill, I'd like to see a set of stock shovel wheels weighed.  By the way, is that your bathroom scale?  Dig the fishies....
John

Eccool

What's the advantage of heavy flywheels? :scratch:

shovelbill

January 26, 2012, 08:26:03 PM #10 Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:33:17 PM by shovelbill
Quote from: Rudy on January 26, 2012, 05:52:58 PM
Hey Bill, I'd like to see a set of stock shovel wheels weighed.  By the way, is that your bathroom scale?  Dig the fishies....

not my scale, but it is cute.........we're just weighing wheels for shyts and grins.........my friend called T & O to ask them what the TM's weigh.......get this.......they DIDN"T know..........couldn't give a number............okaaaay.

i thought you were coming to Zoo Yawk Shitty?

shovelbill

Quote from: Eccool on January 26, 2012, 07:23:15 PM
What's the advantage of heavy flywheels? :scratch:

inertia................

easier kickin, easier take offs,  no need for higher idle, less shifting........easier puttin' imo

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: shovelbill on January 26, 2012, 08:01:06 AM
hey Scott........were those 88" motors built with 8 1/4" wheels.....custom pistons?

to the best of my knowlege, and the info we've compiled elsewhere, the Torque Monsters are the heaviest stroker wheels out there.........but they're not heavier than the old stock Harley wheels (pan/early shovel).......they're supposed to be 5 pounds heavier than EVO wheels.

the Ultima "heavy" wheels weigh 27 pounds........on the same scale the S&S wheels my friend just weighed are 26 and change, but they were drilled.

here are torque monsters on a different scale........fwiw.........everyones' scale is different.

Mostly 91"ers with 3 1/2" hole.
8 1/2" wheels, that way no need to weld the scraper.
And we have several 5" Shovels and Evo's on the loose.
They last waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than folks think.
The owner of a 114"(5" x 3 13/16") Evo with a Wood 9F, 3.37 gearing, and good heads, local, actually pulled a muscle in his shoulder, hanging on to it,(lousy seat) as he told us. :smilep:
Musta' had some truth to it, as we saw him on his other bike for a while after that.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

HotRodShovel

to Bill:  T& O did NOT know what their TM's weigh? I do believe your friend told you that but I find it hard to believe T&O's answer.  I gotta give Paul a call. Now I have to know.
John

shovelbill

thanks Scott......that sure make for a wicked motor.......may be my next upgrade.

Rudy......all they told him was they were 5 pounds heavier than "stock"....when my friend Paul asked T&O what the stock wheels weighed they said they have to check........anyone can read the web-page, huh?

i'll bet i can have him him chime in here too.

dusty1

Wouldnt heavier flywheels also cause more vibration at highway speeds though?

HotRodShovel

Not if they are balanced properly, Dusty. Like any gyro..if balanced they spin vibration free regardless of weight.
John

dusty1

Yeah,makes sense.Thanks all

shovelbill

to put it simply.....you can control the "sweet spot" by the balance factor you use when balancing the crank......ie: 52%....60%....gearing plays a roll too.

Hillside Motorcycle

A 4 3/4" stroker, will last a mighty long time. 91" :up:
And they run VERY good.
Scott

76shuvlinoff

would a 4 3/4 utilize stroker plates?
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

HotRodShovel

I would think so Mark. The stock stroke is 4 1/2 unless here is some low profile piston available but 1/4" seem like a lot not to raise the jugs.. The "big brains" here will know for sure but I'm figuring yes.

I have a 4 5/8 stroke and a 3 5/8 bore for a 96". I don't know if you remember the story but I ended up needing 1/8" plates.
John

76shuvlinoff

January 30, 2012, 04:29:04 PM #22 Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:51:53 AM by 76shuvlinoff
Thanks Rudy, I didn't remember your plates.  Of course my 93 is  4 1/2 x 3 5/8. I am a long way from the barn right now but I think if I added another 1/4 inch I'd have to pull the mill to get the rear head off.

Mark

Edit to add: This is a head up ass post, sorry. I've never built a stroker. The total stroke is distance in the up and down travel and the jugs would not a 1/4 inch taller  :embarrassed:

Back under the bridge....
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

shovelbill

S&S used to make pistons for most strokes in stock jugs.......the 89" setup was the only one i know of that used some stroker plates......032 i believe. they no longer make that kit for shovels, don't list it or have any old stock for it......and i don't know if they make the proper slugs for an 88/91 anymore either. it's a one size fits all kinda deal. you'll have to trim the jugs for your CR..............or you can get custom pistons made up.someone will clarify what i just said if it's wrong info....this all happened when Wiseco started making their pistons.....TRW is not making pistons for S&S anymore.........i don't know why.

Scott said he makes 91's with stock barrels and 8 1/2" wheels.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: 76shuvlinoff on January 30, 2012, 03:10:28 PM
would a 4 3/4 utilize stroker plates?

No.
They utilize the OE cylinder, w/o plates.
Built 'em for years. :up:
Scott