May 02, 2024, 08:23:59 AM

News:

muffler ideas

Started by panheaddreamer58, January 20, 2009, 10:49:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panheaddreamer58

My 50fl still has the orginal muffler on it but I would like just alittle more sound than stock. I dont want to molest the original one so looking for something that resembles original but a shade louder. Seen some on ebay that I thought about gutting (cut out baffles) but never know what that might sound like (if you can in that style muffler). Any ideas??      Jim

Pzokes

Buy a repop and cut out the baffle in the center of the pipe at the inlet end.  This will give it a nice mellow sound, but not loud enough to get you stopped.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

panheaddreamer58

thanks for info-  this is kinda what i had in mind to try but i figured someone out there has tried it. :up:

Hal64hd

If you have the cigar muffler they make 2 different style baffles one is blocked off baffle and the other they make is a straight through baffle 

moose

Panheaddreamer

are you looking to sell the original I'm trying to restore an original 50 fl and am looking

moose
Moose aka Glenn-

panheaddreamer58

No Moose not for sale , wife said get rid of all that junk  :potstir:, but cant do it.

panheaddreamer58

Quote from: Hal64hd on January 21, 2009, 10:46:03 AM
If you have the cigar muffler they make 2 different style baffles one is blocked off baffle and the other they make is a straight through baffle 
Does it make a different which one to use to be able to take baffle out. Also how can u tell without one in hand?

Pzokes

It's not cutting the baffle out, it's cutting out a metal plate in the center of the muffler that directs the exhaust through the baffle.  When you are done you can see straight through the muffler from one end to the other.  Then the baffle only softens the exhaust tone as the gases pass through it.....just like a steel packed straight thru muffler on a hot rod.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

panheaddreamer58

Thanks I understand now what you are saying, thats what I did on my 98flstc mufflers.