April 28, 2024, 07:25:26 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

wiring a 69 ch

Started by 69 harley, February 02, 2012, 08:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

69 harley

Looking to wire up a 69 xlch, (no battery), & the diagrams I have show a 32727-63 capacitor wired into the voltage regulator. Other than maintaining steady headlights, is this capacitor really needed?
69 harley

Lew

Yes, to prevent contact arching.  A battery would act as a shunt to prevent this.  No battery and a capacitor is needed.

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

69 harley

Thanks Lew.
Are you saying the capacitor would prevent the points in the regulator from arching?
69 harley

Lew

February 02, 2012, 09:47:38 AM #3 Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 10:18:43 AM by lewy
Yes and regulate lights and horn.  I'm not sure of the capacitor value (size), but would assume something like .2 through .4uF should work.  A condenser (capacitor) from a typical points fired ignition should be OK.

After some research I think I'm all wrong on the value (size), but I have yet to find it.  I'll keep searching. 

Lew

Well I'll be dipped if I can find the actual value of this moco capacitor.  But I see it listed in the V-Twin catalog as item 32-7784.  Sure would like to know for sure what size it is.
Accell also has one for batteryless operation.  Found this http://www.jpcycles.com/product/381-043
Sorry I couldn't be more help.
                                      :rtfb:

nibroc

February 02, 2012, 07:11:37 PM #5 Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 07:14:05 PM by nibroc
both my XLCH's do not have any capacitors--all ya need is a cycle electric gen w/built-in reg-- i do run a 100 watt head lite

bobrk1

I had a 70 with distributor coil and batt, I changed it to a mag got rid of the batt and ran it like that for years the capacitor I believe is to keep lights from flickering.

69 harley

Quote from: nibroc on February 02, 2012, 07:11:37 PM
both my XLCH's do not have any capacitors--all ya need is a cycle electric gen w/built-in reg-- i do run a 100 watt head lite
Do you have a diagram of the wiring with the Cycle Electric generator?
69 harley

nibroc

hot wire to brake light switch
hot wire to head light switch
hot wire to horn switch if ye gotta have one
wire dimmer switch and that's all