May 09, 2024, 11:36:59 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Got a FXR

Started by hbkeith, February 04, 2012, 04:17:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbkeith

February 04, 2012, 04:17:08 AM Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:13:54 AM by hbkeith
Picked up a 1986 FXR semi basket case yesterday, could not pass up the deal . only parts off bike are frontend ,rear wheel & fender,exhaust, & tank. has a wide glide frontend with it (looking for stock frontend). only parts it looks like missing are rear fender struts, and chrome left side cover on frame. it was sitting in a guys heated garage for 6 years ,he was gona trick it out but just never got to it and decided to get it out of his way for $1800 :bike: :bike:    does the 1986 have 35 mm fork tubes?

2talljack

sixxfoot

The bottle ain't the blame ....it just lets you ...Mike Cooley DBT

Mark222

Nice!   :up:

I am looking for something similar for myself.  I have found a guy with a '90 totally disassembled, will not come with tins, but looks like all else is there.  Motor and trans still complete, motor is supposed to have recent top end.  But he wants $3000 and I am thinking that is too much in this market.  But I do want to add an FXR to my stable........

Have fun with your new toy.

Mark

ClassicRider2002

congratulations on your find.......

take a peek at the FXR HISTORY that's found in the sticky up above.....

Regards,

"Classic"
MIGHTY MOUSE CAM
LOW END TORQUE JUNKIE 2

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: hbkeith on February 04, 2012, 04:17:08 AM
Picked up a 1986 FXR semi basket case yesterday, could not pass up the deal . only parts off bike are frontend ,rear wheel & fender,exhaust, & tank. has a wide glide frontend with it (looking for stock frontend). only parts it looks like missing are rear fender struts, and chrome left side cover on frame. it was sitting in a guys heated garage for 6 years ,he was gona trick it out but just never got to it and decided to get it out of his way for $1800 :bike: :bike:    does the 1986 have 35 mm fork tubes?

Know where there's any more??
Great find. :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

cochise84

hbkeith that sounds like a great find. You can find those fender struts in the V Twin MFG catalog
for $140.  Get at you local Indy or online, no problem. Know you'd rather find some pre owned
for cheap, but.  Funny, you need a LS cover, I need a RS cover.  Maybe when we are tightening things up, one of us will give up his, an make a set for the other guy.  Check back with me.
I know of a 39mm front end avail, good shape, a popular upgrade on our bikes.  He has some other stuff if ya need.
   Mark,  that sounds like a real good deal also, maybe a little high on the price.  A nice '90can
get as high as $6000 asking in north Jersey,  what they bought for is always a guess.  Are the speedo etc.  with the bike.  I have a tank available if you go for it.  Also have Speedo/Tach off
my '84, not sure but stock speedo for a 90 maybe on the tank.   Good luck guys

hbkeith

February 06, 2012, 02:32:56 AM #7 Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:21:58 AM by hbkeith
I was wandering on a Frontend, what all narrow glides will fit right ,triple trees have the right stop,clear neck etc. ?  also can anyone send me a pic of what a 86 fuel tank looks like (dash mount mainly) and a pic of the proper tach & speedo setup. the tank i have apears to be a fxr tank(im not sure if its right year) but it has a early FLH dash mounted to it. the 84 speedo you have Cochise84 probally same as mine should have?   Below is the Tank i got & the bike

hbkeith

hbkeith

hbkeith

Im always looking Scott, i was just getting ready to pull my roadking apart and send you some Heads, but i think im gona hold off now, thanks Scott

cochise84

hbkeith     great deal ya got there, looks right.  The FXR dash is narrow, with one gas filler through the dash. gas gauge above gas cap in dash.   Speedo& tach is XL style attached to
handle bar clamp.  I am posting a pic of the 39mm front end (not mine) that is available.
Have more pic( different angles ) on tank and dash.  As I said speedo & tach are Sportster style.
I can take some pics if you like.  Also have stock buckhorns if anyone needs.

Sorry guys pic files are too large for this forum. send me a PM, with email addy. 
Happy to send  to you.  Cochise

turboprop

hbkeith - there are three different gauge setups for the FXR line of bikes (not including the FXRT or FXRD in this). Regardless of year, or alphabet soup, don't know or care if it is a low rider, convertible, etc, they all fit into these three configurations:

Speedo on the handlebars. -This may have a gas gauge in the tank or the tank may be smooth top.

Speedo and tach on handlebars. - Same as above, tank may or may not have gas gauge.

Speedo on the tank. - This will have a standard speedo on the center console, the gas cap will be directly below the speedo. This bike may or may not have a single tach on the handlebars.

Speedo and tach on the tank. - This will have both gauges in a oval shaped pod on the tank. Older bikes will have two gas caps, newer bikes will have a gas gauge on the left side and a gas cap on the right side.

From the looks of your tank, it is the type that can run either a single speedo or speedo & tach on the tank.

FWIW - I prefer the single speedo on the tank and a tach up on the bars where it can be easily seen.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

cochise84

while turboprop's statement is generally correct, over the production years of FXR,  we were talking about the '86.  which s/b black wrinkle, same style as the '84.  In fact the '86 FXRD,
did use the chrome console.   The tank you have in your post IS an aftermarket tank designed to usea FL style speedo/dash assembly.  If you remove the speedo , look at the recess, it is too
wide for the FX/FXR style narrow dash.  By the way, I have and am referring to the parts book
that covers all FXR 84-86.   Nothing wrong with that tank, as a tank, but just not correct style
for FXR.  By the way I am using one, so again, I do know that tank.

cochise84

here is a pic of the factory tank, with the center dash on.   

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

cochise84

How did you get those full size pics posted up?

hbkeith

i put pics in photobucket, move mouse on pic codes will pop up below pic  left click on img code (its now copied) ,start reply on htt click insert image ,imgimg will pop up in your reply area ,right click your mouse ,paste, now theres 3 imgs (imgimgimg) before your htttp,i backspace to erase the first 2. and thats it.   :nix: truth is i got lucky the first time i put a pic on HTT .  thanks for info guys

smittyon66

hbkeith,
I agree it looks like you have the Custom Chrome aftermarket tank for an FXR. They are still available new.
A stock tank for an 86 would have had the center filler neck and gas guage in the console.
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/7200505

Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

smittyon66

February 06, 2012, 07:36:14 PM #19 Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:43:03 PM by smittyon66
BTW, if you copy the IMG code from Photobucket, you can just paste it right in the reply window. You don't have to mess around with the Inset Picture button or anything else.

In the reply window it will look something like this.

[  ]http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii209/smitty_66/zFXRT083.jpg[/   ]   

(I left the IMG out of the brackets so you could see what the link looks like. If I had left it in there, the picture would have showed.)

The one on the right is my 84 FXRT. I still have it.

This is an 86 FXRD I had and sold to Grumpy.

Old Crow

My wife'd probably kill me, but I'd like a FXRT to go with my pair of FLT's. 
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Grumpy : (

The FXRD doesn't look like that anymore. 

It could be for sale, but not cheap, comes with a lot of extra stuff.

G  : (
Make the Day Yours!
Ormond Beach, FL

smokedyvr

February 07, 2012, 10:12:18 PM #22 Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:43:03 PM by smokedyvr
My 86 is chain drive (some belt, some chain....why....who knows) with the speedo in the console. Some came with the gas guage in the console and a speedo/tach on the bars. cochise84 has the right picture. Mine came stock with the console in black but I scored a chrome console so I have both. The neck is 1" so as far as the front end goes 35mm forks and it's the same front end as the sportster. There awesome bikes and by far the jewel of the fleet.....my opinion. :scoot:
79 80"FLH, 86 FXR, 96 FLHR

Karl86fxrd

Smittyon66.....The FXRD you sold to Grumpy looks exactly like my two I have...1000 were built that year and 314 were painted in the blue color scheme like ours....My first one I bought 20 years ago and stripped her down to be just a plain jane FXR streetrod. I was sad to have stipeed her down, but about two months ago I bought my second one like yours in the photo...she aint getting stripped down...she's got a 120 inch Merch powerplant, leaving the bags,fairing and tourpack gets comments and lookie Lou's everywhere I go.
Grumpy, what are you selling off of her? You'll be sad if you strip all of her charm off of her.

smittyon66

The one Grumpy has for sale is a sweet bike. I liked it original and I like the way it looks now. It had a factory reman engine put in it in 02, and he's the third owner. I met the original owner and know that the dealer that sold it originally also serviced it until I bought it.

I was kicking myself after I sold it. The wife and I are getting older and I thought a geezer glide would be more practical for traveling, which it is, but the geezer glide just doesn't have the fun factor.

A couple of years later I came across an all original 84 FXRT in black that I grabbed and still own, otherwise I'd buy that one back from him.