April 27, 2024, 07:23:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Knucklehead oiling problems

Started by shovelnik, February 09, 2012, 07:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovelnik

I have a 74" mostly '41 knuckle (it's a mongrel, but affordable).

First question:

When the engine was rebuilt, I had an S&S oil pump installed.  Yeah, I know ... bad idea.  Looks like the pump may be pumping more than the return system can acommodate.  A couple of solutions I have read/heard include,

1.  Use stock 5:1 pinion and drive gears in place of the S&S 4:1 gears.

2.  Install a restriction (~0.060) in the topend oiling line.  I was going to tap the fitting at the top of the cam cover so I could screw in carb main jets.  That would let me play with various sized restrictions.

3.  Do the right thing and re-install the stock pump.

Has anybody run into this problem and what worked for you?

Second question:

I know there is supposed to be a 0.0625 relief hole in each of the lower cups, but I can't find them on mine.  Anybody know where exactly they should be and are those holes only in the intakes or all four cups?  Also, read somewhere that aftermarket cups sometimes did NOT have these holes.  If it turns out that these are in fact aftermarket tin, where do I drill the holes?

Thanks for the help!

Lew

I'm not much help but S&S recommends using stock type gears and restricting the top end oil feed.
http://www.sscycle.com/uploads/instructions/6250.pdf
Sorry I can't be of more help than this.
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

ready2ride

run the later stock panhead pump, it is what i have on mine, it is the last version before they went to the square shovelhead pump
i want a flatknuckpanshovevotwinster glider

ricochet

I had a later model aftrmarket pump on mine and was having the same issue.  What I did was got two more of the oil line connectors that go into the rocker boxes at the ends of the center common feed line.  Drilled a bit to a controlled depth and pressed in a solid steel piece of rod with a hole drilled in the center.  Some use a hollow rivet but I just made pieces to fit.  I don't recall the hole size but it was probably like  .060 or .090.   In any event you can swap the fitting out to change or elininate the restriction.  Brass or aluminum would also be easier t work with.

Worked for me.

ricochet