April 27, 2024, 08:10:29 AM

News:

1200 - 2001 upgreads

Started by jazzman713, January 21, 2009, 05:44:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzman713

im getting ready to do some upgrades on this bike i have a pro pipe and s/e breather system. im thinking about looking into a good ignition and carb does the cv carb come in a 42mm? also looking at the zippers ignition should my stock coil be ok with a new ignition? i need some advice on this as i know little about this stuff thanks

jazzman713

i have been told that the cv is a great carb ive been looking at the mikuni hsr42 looks like a good carb but i have been told they need care

mayor

to answer your first question, the CV does not come in 42mm.  That carb is available in 40mm, 44mm, and 51mm (with variations available through customizers like Woods). 

to answer your second question, your stock coil will be fine for what ever ignition you choose unless you're switching to a single fire ignition- then you have to switch coils. 

I've run both carbs (CV and Mik), although on my twin cams not my sporty.  I currently run a Cv40 on my sporty.  The two carbs act differently although with a stock to mild build sporty they will perform about the same. The Cv40 out flows your stock heads, so changing to a larger carb will not gain you more power.  The Mik will feel like it has more power though.   The Mik has a very fast throttle response since the throttle is mechanically controlled, which gives the illusion of more power.   The Cv has a vacuum slide that controls the throttle which gives some lag.   The Mik is very tuner friendly, although the CV is more friendly to tune for those with less mechanical experience.   I really like the Cv's, but there's plenty of people who like the Mik's too. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions