May 08, 2024, 12:50:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

09 V&H Power Duals/Bungs

Started by Eglider05, February 17, 2012, 07:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glens

Like Bob said, I saw the pictures in the '12 Model Year Technical Forum PDF file and snagged the picture there.

I wouldn't know any better than you how to ferret out where they're made.  Sorry.

Eglider05

Do the sensors have to go in at an angle? I'm just trying to figure out what I would need to do to fix these pipes should I decide to go with them instead of a 2-1.

Thanks,
Rick

Scotty

Quote from: wurk_truk on February 29, 2012, 06:03:26 PM
Glens,

Could you look see if those bungs are available to the masses.  I am going to 'rebung' my D&D.  Right now, I will install new 18mm bungs up top, using 1/2 nuts welded to the pipe.  The 'old' bungs will be for EGT probes.

Evetually, I wish to make the switch over to Lambda.  Talking to SC has led me to believe that a simple 12mm half nut will NOT extend the O2s into the exhaust stream well enough.  That set of pix you dug up would be the 'fix' for that portion of a 6 bung pipe for sure.

You might need to drill a hole large enough in the pipe for the nut to fit through and with it threaded onto a bolt hold it up to the inside and tig it so that it gets the sensor close to the middle of the stream.

mayor

warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

wolf_59

On the last O2 conversion I used the 1/2 nuts which I turn on the lathe just to knock the hex off, drilled the hole in the pipe and used a die grinder to enlongate the hole so the 1/2 nuts set down in the pipe on the ends and flush with the pipe on the sides

Steve Cole

A little trick you can do to help is to make a punch that is slightly larger around than the OD of the bung you are going to try and weld on. Take the punch and hit the pipe so that you get a small flat on the pipe right where you are going to place the bung for welding. This helps lower the probe into the pipe and if done nicely does look any different. This allows the bung to sit flat on the pipe for welding as well.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

Eglider05

March 07, 2012, 01:54:22 PM #31 Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:23:15 PM by Eglider05
Quote from: Eglider05 on February 22, 2012, 06:16:53 PM
Front

Rear

Where do you guys buy your bungs? How far down the head pipe is too far? I'd like to just plug these and put new ones in a little lower but I have to go below the clamps for the heat shields. It looks like I'd have to be 6" down on the front and 9" on the rear.

Thanks,
Rick

mayor

Quote from: Eglider05 on March 07, 2012, 01:54:22 PM
Where do you guys buy your bungs? How far down the head pipe is too far? I'd like to just plug these and put new ones in a little lower but I have to go below the clamps for the heat shields. It looks like I'd have to be 6" down on the front and 9" on the rear.
why not cut those off, shorten them from the cut side, and reweld them back on.   :nix:  The narrow bands are not heated, so I would think you would want them closer to the port than 9". 

Eglider05

March 09, 2012, 07:15:20 PM #33 Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:23:36 PM by Eglider05
Quote from: mayor on March 09, 2012, 07:11:35 PM
Quote from: Eglider05 on March 07, 2012, 01:54:22 PM
why not cut those off, shorten them from the cut side, and reweld them back on.   :nix:  The narrow bands are not heated, so I would think you would want them closer to the port than 9".

How about I just say screw Vance & Hines and they're crappy pipes :teeth:. I actually have wide bands (TMAX). I shouldn't have to screw around with these things and have decided not to. I'm going to give the Dragula 2-1 a go.

Rick

mayor

:up:   yea, I don't see me jumping into a set of V&H's anytime soon..at least not with a closed loop system. 

Eglider05

Eglider05

March 09, 2012, 07:27:35 PM #36 Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:18:29 AM by Eglider05
Quote from: mayor on March 09, 2012, 07:21:07 PM
:up:   yea, I don't see me jumping into a set of V&H's anytime soon..at least not with a closed loop system.

The more I look at these things the more I get pissed off. After doing some searches and reading the referenced Bosch material it's pretty obvious to me the sensors aren't near being in the pipe far enough. Looking back I was never completely happy with the tune after I put them on. I never had any issue with the Fatcat I had on previously.

Rick