May 02, 2024, 04:53:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil Leak Sporty

Started by 72fl, February 28, 2012, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

72fl

I have a 883 and it has oil leak that appears between the cases on the bottom, it is so slow that I can't see it leak but letting it sit overnight I will have oil about the size of a quarter that is really clean so I think it has something to do with primary/trans not engine oil. Anyone have any other ideas on how to locate it or had the same problem ? It has 12k on it, is it possible that it is leaking around the starter area, I have used a mirror and jacked it up but I just can't trace it, at a loss.

Lew

One of the easier ways to track it down is to clean things up as best you can, then spray on some foot powder.  Use the kind that is in an aerosol can and dries to a powder.  This will help locate the leak at it's source better than anything I know of in a situation like this.  Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

JBarrettB

CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

72fl

Lew thats a good idea.

JBarrettB

Your primary may be overfull, have a look at the trans/primary vent hose. Is it wet?

JB
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

72fl

I will check that, it is lite colored not like enging oil and it does smell like gear oil.

Panzer

Just another idea.............
Take a piece of white paper and tape both ends to the case in a hammock style about two (2) inches from the case.
That should give you an  :idea: of location and at no cost.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

WhipLash96

I would check your shifter shaft seal. have you recently had your primary cover off? If you don't replace that seal it will leak. Do you live in cold climate that tends to warm up? If so, go back and re-tighten primary cover bolts to spec. 
Thanks,
Whip

cyclobutch

Transmission oil smells and tastes different to engine oil.
B
'88 XLH1200