May 04, 2024, 02:29:40 PM

News:

need more room

Started by Yukon, January 22, 2009, 03:08:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yukon

I'm going back to Alaska and from there to Sturgis this year and this time I'm bringing my wife on back. This means a LOT more gear to bring and I don't want to tow a trailer. I just saw from Kyrakin a small tray/shelf type thing which attaches to the trailer hitch which gives about 30lb. more storage. If I'm real smart, I can probably get by with this on back of my UC. Anybody use these? Any better ideas? Seems expensive to buy a hitch and this for a small amount of storage but we can't seem to pass on just the tour pac and saddlebags because we are camping and there's just too much gear . Thanks

Big Dan

Yukon,
Last year I bought a set of Lid-Haulers with the Lid-Saks. They're the deals that go on top of the saddlebags. Those little bags hold a whole lot more than one would think. We get a week's worth of clothes in 'em for 2 people. Tricky to configure on an Ultra, but worth it in my opinion. When the bags aren't in use, the Lid-haulers look nice and protect the bags from "Wife Boot."
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Tollbooth

We put a bag on the luggage rack. Only keep light stuff in it. Great place to keep rain gear for fast access. Heavy stuff down low, lite stuff up high. Ultras are top heavy without any add on weight up high. Get a bungy/cargo net and yer all set.
Tollbooth

harpo1313

just a thought,can you send some gear ahead of yourself [ups,postal]when i was installing x-ray equip i sent my tools out ahead of me,flew in,did my deed then sent the tools back home,probly about 40 times without problems,then we bought a truck and i got to see the country.dont know if i would feel comfortable with too much gear depending on one rear tire.

ULTRADOG

im with harpo on this one dont get overloaded it may cause ya some handling issues if im going for that long i usually will send things ahead like cloths and her make up just take what ya need to arrive at youre destination i have even sent back laundry to the next door neighbor and had them just throw it in my garage [unless you hate youre neighbors] my lil sis has even done laundry and sent it back out to our next destination ( of course for a small fee) any way plan youre ride and ride youre plan that of course doesnt include a map go get lost and have a ball you will never forget it
HAVE A GOOD TIME ITS LATER THAN YOU THINK

Panzer

Send her ahead with the gear...............problem solved!  :embarrassed:
                         Next!!
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Baggerlady

That is why I had to learn to ride my own! Take the bare nessecities, but make sure you have raingear! Go as lightweight with evrything that you can, and try the suggestions these guys have. But have fun!!! :rose:

Yukon

I've been in this buisness for 35 years and did this same trip in 96 and had lots of room but I was alone. MY wife has been following me on plenty of different bikes all this time. She currently has a sportster but for lots of reasons, she wants to sit back this time. (one is the price of fuel, the price of 2 bikes on the Alaska ferry lines, etc.). I have a tour pac rack but my 09 tour pac lid doesn't seem near as strong as my 95. I'm sure I had 30lbs. on that one but wouldn't dare try it on this one. I also have a windshield bag, tankbag, saddlebag lid storage, and the 2 small bags that hang on the rear crashbar. The trouble with all this stuff is it's all small storage. We will be on the road for 2 months and tenting most of the time and the only option I see is the trailer hitch thing. I was just hoping someone else tried it before I spent too many dollars for a new problem.  thanks again

kickstart

Quote from: Yukon on January 23, 2009, 03:09:50 AM

I have a tour pac rack
I also have a windshield bag, tankbag, saddlebag lid storage, and the 2 small bags that hang on the rear crashbar.
We will be on the road for 2 months and tenting
Talk about overloading the bike !!!!
I did see a guy with a 4 rail luggage rack fixed to his front fender, in case you didn't think of that _cheaper than the trailer hitch set up anyway.
(buy a cheap used fender and bolt away just for this trip)
Another suggestion- the saddle bag rails - I have bungeed tent bags/folding chairs along them before too.
I would seriously consider a trailer for comfort, safety and convenience, but I'm sure you looked at that already
It's not about gun control.
It's about CONTROL.

harborjohn

The question should be, How much do you and your wife weigh? Big difference between 280lbs and 500lbs. I would assume that a couple weighing 280lbs could safely cary more luggage/bags than the couple that is 500lbs.

Windweaver

putting weight that far back on the bike will cause wheelie problems. WW