Previous topic - Next topic

triumphbruce

saw a pitcure of a pan on the ofopos site with no distributor
the gear cover has what looks like a small cone sticking out
with a cover for points like a shovel.is this an after market
motor or a mod.just never seen one like that and figured
you all here would know.just curious 

Deye76

Forgot who made the ones with fins on them, haven't seen them for years. The one your looking at (if it's smooth) is likely a Sputhe Engineering, & I think are still available. The were designed to allow late style ignition parts (cone nose) & electronic ignitions to be used, before distributors(timers) were developed with electronic ignitions. 
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

Hal64hd

I know sputhe makes one, They quit for awhile but brought them back

http://www.sputhe.com/kidney%20cam%20cover.htm

CraigArizona85248

It could be you saw a shovel bottom end with a pan top end on it.  Post the picture over here so we can see it.

-Craig

ricochet

That probably was a Sputhe cover.  There are knock-offs for sale on e-bay regularly but I can't attest yet to the accuracy until I have my bushings reamed, shortly.  I have one and it looks good but is just the machined casting with the sleel freeze plug inside that forms the venting cavity.  I've also seen some lately on repop motors (xsotic Revtec e-bay 370147973083) that are chrome plated and ribbed and looked like normal ones sorta but had the point cover (also ribbed) where the nosecone would be. 

ricochet

triumphbruce

i got the picture moved to my pictures how do i get it here

Deye76

Quote from: ricochet on January 22, 2009, 10:33:35 AM
That probably was a Sputhe cover.  There are knock-offs for sale on e-bay regularly but I can't attest yet to the accuracy until I have my bushings reamed, shortly.  I have one and it looks good but is just the machined casting with the sleel freeze plug inside that forms the venting cavity.  I've also seen some lately on repop motors (xsotic Revtec e-bay 370147973083) that are chrome plated and ribbed and looked like normal ones sorta but had the point cover (also ribbed) where the nosecone would be. 

ricochet
Thats for an Evo motor.

stroker800

Thats a wanna be pan cover,,up where the genny goes on there is a spin on oil filter,,then there is also the goofy wanna be valve covers.. The Horse mag has a list of all the wanna be parts for posers,,,such as a fake kicker cover with a starter button attached to it.....With all the fake parts it would be cheaper too purchase the real deal.
Dave

ricochet

That is quite the contraption isn't it.  I didn't realize the whole cover was like 3 inches thick and actually fit onto a nosecone bottom.  I thought the engine was similar to the S & S P motors or at least designed to compete in that space.  The one I'm using is the Sputhe type.

ricochet

Deye76

January 23, 2009, 08:09:11 AM #9 Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 08:14:41 AM by Deye76
Hal64's link is the one I was referring to. Before Sputhe, someone made the same cover but with ribs/fins to more closely reasemble the OEM.

edit: An old timer just told me it may have been Sputhe that also made the early ones that had fins.