April 27, 2024, 06:21:02 AM

News:

Freezing fog alert????

Started by Big Dan, January 22, 2009, 06:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Dan

We've just been issued one, and it's a new one on me. I've lived here my entire adult life, and thought I'd seen every winter weather phenomenon possible. Thunder snow? Yep. Tornado in January? Check. But freezing fog? News to me.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Panzer

:hyst: Freezing fog?
Next they'll tell you the sky is falling.  :hyst:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

ThumperDeuce

http://www.weather.gov/glossary/index.php?word=FREEZING%20FOG
Idiots are fun, no wonder every village wants one.

road-dawgs1

So if you ride into freezing fog it must be like riding into a glass wall :smilep:
'24 FLTRX Sharkskin blue

RainDodger

It's nasty - it's a new term to me, but we all know the effects, at least here in the pacific NW. For the last few days it's been bad here, NE of Seattle. Heavy fog floating across roads leaves a coating of moisture that turns to instant ice. The fog goes away, the ice stays. Makes for accidents. Even I-5 was closed for a few hours last weekend in one spot. I drive/ride rural 2-lane roads, some of which see little bright sunlight. Very icy during morning commutes!

CndUltra88

Quote from: Panzer on January 22, 2009, 06:40:35 AM
:hyst: Freezing fog?
Next they'll tell you the sky is falling.  :hyst:

I think they are already fog freezing and falling to the ground.
A guy from work lost control on a short overpass , one that crosses some train tracks and lost control
hit another guy head on ( both in cages ) black -ice freezing fog and speed to blame.
My co-worker wasnt wearing his seat belt, two broken wrist, two broken ankles, broken femur and some facial reconstruction , all this and eight hours in emerg. surgery.
Off topic I know, but everyone be very carefull out there cause you never know what the road ahead will bring you,
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

Jim Bronson

Not to be confused with ice fog, which is like normal fog but instead of water droplets is composed of tiny ice crystals. It has to be very cold to form. I only saw it once in Berlin many years ago.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

RK101

Well at least it's not raining frogs,fish and crabs. Been known to happen. :hyst:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

kybagger

We had it here this year. the fog hits the roads making them wet causing roadways to freeze over

panhead_dan

I got caught in freezing fog the other day on the bike for about 20 miles.
Sure makes you ride real smooth (and a bit slower).
The road is just about the same as black ice.