April 27, 2024, 09:50:48 PM

News:

What Size Fork

Started by DJ Baar, March 05, 2012, 12:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ Baar

OK - I know this is NOT the original forks, as this ol'74 FXE did not come with a Wideglide forks.  Any one recommend the best way to measure and get correct replacement parts (like springs and seals) to repair a fork assembly?

Mine are OK for now and will probably last thru the Summer till next Winter (down time) but every now and then it bottoms out like springs are worn-out when I hit a good bump (and yes I replaced the oil and serviced properly with correct amount?).

DJ Baar   :chop:
* Bring on the Ol'Skool Hot Rod Harleys!

76shuvlinoff

Are you looking for the length of the tube? I am not sure you can know that without disassembling one. 
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

turboprop

You can use the springs from any wide glide front end. The pre-load spacer length may change, but not by much. The seals are very similar between the early and later wideglide forks, may even be the same. I am talking shovel era vs evo/tc 41mm wideglide forks. Eitherway, not hard to tell. Look at the brake caliper mounts on the fork, that will tell you the era, the seals didn't change from year to year for the same era fork.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

vern

DJ Baar

* Bring on the Ol'Skool Hot Rod Harleys!