May 01, 2024, 04:18:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Juice rears vs. mechanical rears

Started by Little Al, January 22, 2009, 01:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Little Al

just a quick question before I buy the wrong thing on eBay. is the rear drum the same?

i have a complete rear juice brake setup and I want to switch to mechanical rear. can I use my existing drum & just get a mechanical backing plate or is the drum different too?
Little Al

CraigArizona85248

The parts book lists several big twin rear brake drums.  One for '37-'57 (41400-37), another for '58-'62 (41400-58C), a third for '63-'66 (41400-63).  I'm not sure how interchangable they are.  About 3 months ago I replace my OEM rear mechanical drum with one of the repops from Paughco.  I was a little worried that it might not be straight and true, but it turned out to be really well made.

-Craig

62pan

No parts interchange between mechanical and juice brakes. You will have to buy everything from the pedal assy. back. FWIW, I have had them on every one of my ridged frame bikes and have had no problems with them.

Little Al

the 414400-37 is the only one I have in my book (49-57). I don't have a parts book that covers later models. The juicers started in late 50's right? So maybe that's where the 58C number comes from?

I already bought the unit, listed as "knuckle and pan mechanical rear brake drum with sprocket and backing plate" The auction was ending so I went for it. the price was good, been watching mechanical rear drums with or without backing plates for a while, always go upwards of $150. I scored this one for $50. Seller never got back to me with a part number off the drum or plate. Guess I'll measure up and compare with my juicer when it gets here, then sell what I don't need. I already have complete front mechanical. It's all for my '54 FL.

Been riding mechanical brakes for years (still do on one of my bikes) and although they ain't as good as disc, their as good as the juice in my opinion, just maybe need stronger hands, lol.
Little Al

PanHeadRed

Al, what year is your Hyd. set-up? Are you willing to part with it?

Little Al

definitely wanna sell it.

I'll take a look tonight for some part numbers on it. It was on the bike when I bought it. it was on a '71 frame but who knows what year it's from.

I'll let you know
Little Al

Little Al

looks like the drum/sprocket part number is 41400-67, maybe 41406-67. the one number is hard to make out, either a 0 or 6.

the backing plate looks like bendix 222922

it's complete with slave and everything else. it was working on a ridden bike when I got it. took it off myself.
Little Al