May 02, 2024, 03:24:39 PM

News:

starting issue

Started by brubinfxr, January 22, 2009, 01:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brubinfxr

hey all, have not been around much, but the past week of 70 degrees on the front range of CO has had me on the bike.

when i thumb the starter button, I get one of 3 things, bike will turn over and start, I may just get a click from the starter / solenoid area (not sure exactly where it is coming from), or it may do nothing. 
With result 2 and 3, i just learned that with the starter button held in and the bike in gear, If I roll the bike forward or backward, it will engage and begin to turn over.  What is this a sign of?  Binding somewhere like the jackshaft sprocket is not lining up with the teeth on the clutch housing?  I have been in there and all looks fine with the primary cover off.  roller bearing in the cover looks good.
thoughts? 

thanks
brubin
82 FXR
brubin
82FXR

Hybredhog

the contact washer in your solinoid might be to crusty for a good conection, you could try turning it over....Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

Lew

January 22, 2009, 06:44:55 PM #2 Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 06:51:49 PM by lewy1313
If on occasion the solenoid does nothing when the start button is pushed...this could indicate a relay or handlebar switch issue.  A faulty handlebar switch or start relay would/could be keeping the solenoid from energizing.   If the solenoid is energizing but the starter isn't...pull the solenoid take it apart and have a look at the starter contacts and bridge washer for arc pitting and corrosion.  Clean the contacts up with emery cloth, clean the washer up or flip it over.  Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

HarleyCharley

More that likely the relay. Check by jumping (+), high current post to low current post on solenoid. If it starts every time that way, I would say it's the relay.

charley

Sc00ter

Quote from: lewy1313 on January 22, 2009, 06:44:55 PM
If on occasion the solenoid does nothing when the start button is pushed...this could indicate a relay or handlebar switch issue.  A faulty handlebar switch or start relay would/could be keeping the solenoid from energizing.   If the solenoid is energizing but the starter isn't...pull the solenoid take it apart and have a look at the starter contacts and bridge washer for arc pitting and corrosion.  Clean the contacts up with emery cloth, clean the washer up or flip it over.  Good luck!

Lew

Or, it could be your ignition switch...

crazycanadian

It could be worn relay,
It could be bad battery connections..

If you have in gear and you roll it over and it starts turning over could be bad spot in starter..usually a dead spot will start out like that.move starter and it'll work.