April 28, 2024, 07:24:52 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Bodywork/ repair...bike related

Started by bladerunner, January 22, 2009, 02:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bladerunner

I picked up a  rear  fender extention with the side filler panels   from a  FHLX  . I want to fill the antenna holes ,and smooth over. I have experience  with  epoxy , fiberglass , and of course bondo .I`m not sure of the properties of this plastic and not sure what products to use ......any thought or suggestions ??.................bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

hdjax2

Stuck in Lodi, Ca

98roadking

Do you know who made it. If it's the Ness one it is fiberglass.

bladerunner

It`s the actual HD  product, I think It`s some kind of  "plastic  "...bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

seattledyna

January 22, 2009, 03:04:36 PM #4 Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 03:07:24 PM by seattledyna
this is the 3m product that I use to repair that type of plastic

5885 Automixâ,,¢ EZ Sand Rigid Parts Repair Item No. 60-9800-3084-9

if you put a piece of masking tape over the hole on the good side you fill from the back, then use body filler on the front to do a final fill for appearance.

I have filled several of the panels that way with great results

http://www.3m.com.au/intl/au/auto_marine/shopnews/nov01.jhtml

or just send it to me since I have a supply of the repair material, will fill the hole and get it right back to ya!

easy fix...no charge

bladerunner

Thanks , seattle.. that`s what I was look`n for..probably cost more for shipping than for the material :smile:..I`m back here in PA....bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

seattledyna

the proper material is kinda spendy, and the automix gun is needed to mix the stuff, I have the gun and a supply of repair material here.

that part is light, should be cheap to send...offer still stands :)  like to take care of the HTT crew

Mike

bladerunner

Thanks , I should have the piece in a few days , I`ll be in touch..This is very generous of you.......bladerunner
Erie , pennsylvania

seattledyna

fatboyanv

i backed into another bike and bent my rear fender on my 03 fatboy... can i cut the fender without chipping the paint?  thinking bout just cutting the bent part off bottom of fender and calling it good. anyone with any experience doing anything like this?

seattledyna

tape it up real good with 2" masking tape, draw your new line and cut with a new fine tooth blade in your saw, take some touch up paint to the new bare edge after filing it smooth and you should be good to go :up: