April 27, 2024, 04:00:40 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Help Please--Any ideas on 5 speed shifting difficulties?

Started by HeritageSpecial, January 22, 2009, 02:38:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeritageSpecial

January 22, 2009, 02:38:52 PM Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 02:50:53 PM by Heritagespecial
Gents,
I have noticed over the past few months that when upshifting my 5 speed tranny (in a '96 FLHT- Stage 1- 50,000 miles) that I am starting to feel a "two-stage", notchy, crunchy, grunchy shift at the shift lever into 2nd, worse going into 3rd, then a little easier into 4th and not  so noticeable into 5th. Downshifting is closer to normal-- there is no two stage notchy grunch, but I reckon it should feel better than it does.

This occurs especially when I am shifting at the lower end of the powerband. If I run it out a bit and shift at higher revs-- say around 4000-4500/rpm, the shift points fall into place better with less two stage grunch but still noticeable. If I hold in the clutch and allow the engine revs to drop considerably then shift, there is some improvement.

If I re-adjust the clutch by either the book or the HIPPO method, the problem does seem to improve slightly, but then comes back in a few days (but has never gone away completely after clutch adjustment.) I note that the clutch take up occurs very "late" on the clutch lever-- i.e. approx in the last 1/4 of lever release.
Neutral is just a snick away at any time. Doesn't matter what lube I run in the primary or tranny-- still does it. presently runnig ATF type F in the primary and 75-90 gear oil in the tranny.

Could worn clutch friction plates be the culprit?
tranny issues?

If anyone has any troubleshooting ideas I am happy to try them and report back. Any ideas greatly appreciated. I do my own maintenance, repair, and tuning but have never been into a transmission-- and not sure I want to go there.

All ideas greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
HS

2009 FLHTCU "BargeGlide" Stage 2 / 1996 FLSTN Stage 3.

gofastmoose

Sound to me, like the clutch is still dragging.
Use Dexron 2,3 or4 it has less friction. I use AMSOIL synthetics in my primary.
To much oil in the primary will cause the clutch to drag.

1997bagger

Common for the  intermediate dampening plate in the clutch stack to have the rivots come loose and can start dragging. Replaced my clutch at 42,000 and yep, a couple of rivot heads were loose and starting to cut into the clutch disc.

A little cheaper and easier direction if you still have the dampening disc before condeming the transmission  :teeth:
What's wrong with having the only Evo in the parking lot?

MCLIFER

If it shifts relatively normal downshifting but improper upshifting first try the third gear shifter pawl adjustment. Not unusual to need occasional adjustments.

HeritageSpecial

Thanks very much for your comments.

MCLIFER-- did this about 1k ago properly with the trans top cover off and measured precisely-- no change. Nautral is a breeze though!

gofast-- Don't think this is the root cause due to trying different primary fluids. I always fill to the level recommended in the manual with the bike near dead level. I am aware the recommended level is not written in stone, so may try to drop the level a bit and see what happens.

1997-- If I were to bet on this I reckon this is probably it. Will get into it first chance and let you know.

Any other ideas from others?

Thanks!

HS

crazylore

I agree with 1997 bagger..had same thing happen on my 96 fatboy with 38K..rivets broke loose and scored the friction plates,,,readjuested the clutch a couple of times but problem soon returned...replaced clutch with Barnett  extra plate clutch...does not have riveted double plate...stock spring..runs GREAT...hooks up well...easy install....some people claim to have a problem with this clutch and finding N....I had no problems slips into N easier than OEM....quite happy with repair...
04FLSTFI 95" TW 44 cams

HeritageSpecial

crazylore-- Thanks for your comments, as this backs up 1997bagger and I suspect this is probably it. Will investigate when good weather near end as it's our riding season now.

Thanks all!

Regards,
HS

HeritageSpecial

update:

Changed out the type F ATF fluid and tried Dexron III ATF which provided less 'grab' on the clutch pack. Also filled primary with approx 1/4" less that manual sez. Readjusted the clutch and after all the above noted some improvement but will have to check rivets on intermediate dampening plate as 1997bagger suggests.

OK for now but gotta do it....

Thanks All,
HS