May 04, 2024, 01:22:44 AM

News:

Andrews y grind cams and drag pipes

Started by hubbard, March 10, 2012, 04:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hubbard

I'm sure theres a thread for this please direct me to it, thanks

bobrk1

what do you want to know? I'll guess maybe and idle problem? drill a hole on the back of pipe and put in a 3/8 bolt for some back pressure hope this helps.

Lew

Lose the drag pipes, unless you're drag racing.  Number one worst thing you can do on a street motor.  You will never get the carb to function correctly at anything under max RPM. A street motor needs back pressure to run correctly through the power band.  Adding some restriction can help, but just moves the problem into a different spot in the power band.  The pipes need some form of expansion chamber (muffler) to restore lower RPM torque and get the carb to work properly..especially when running the long duration Y cams on the street.
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

Hillside Motorcycle

Install a 1 1/2" long, 1/4" bolt, and stack 3-4, 5/16" nuts on it.
That'll grab 10-12 ft/lbs off the bottom,(and perhaps more) generate more peak torque, and once the reversion is somewhat under control, then dial the carb in. :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

hubbard

I've got a customer that refuses to accept the drag pipe thing because he had a 64 xl in 64 that ran great. He sez it would do 120 easy. I'm just trying to get some other opinions and input to pass on. Thanks for the replies

Hillside Motorcycle

Doubt is 120 was that easy, with that 900..........
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Winston Wolf

Things always get faster as time goes by.... I can say it would take more balls then brains to go 120 on my ironhead, if you could stand the vibration.  The bolt thing does work, give it a shot.