May 08, 2024, 05:37:55 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

SE Pro-Tuner for Dumies

Started by War Horse, March 11, 2012, 10:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

War Horse

This might not be the right area, so admins please move it appropriately.

I thought this was the most informative explanation of how this is done, you know.... for old guys like me.  :wink:

Screamin' Eagle Part 1/2

Screamin' Eagle Part 2/2
A clear conscience is the sign of a fuzzy memory

Lew

Thanks for posting this War Horse!  This makes it slightly clearer than mud for this old goat too.   :embarrassed:   
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

War Horse

Yeah I was hoping it would help some of us, I read with interest in the AFR/Tuning threads , but get quite confused and don't dare ask, knowing I would be ridiculed , this is something I've never done so I figured I cant be the only one needing some skoolin.  :smile:

glens

I don't think it's a very good presentation.

He didn't go into much detail at all and he's really jumbled up the order things should be done for best effect.

Whenever you make changes to the spark timing after you've generated the new calibration from your recording sessions, you want to generate a new calibration from new recording sessions because changing the spark timing will change what the VE tables will need to be.

If you've generated VE tables, optimized spark timing and re-generated new VE tables, you sure as heck don't want to go in and change things in the closed-loop area of the VE tables like he did as the last step...

Lew

It did look more like a 'see I can do this really fast and make it look easy' presentation more than an educational one.  I'm afraid all he accomplished for me would be to get me in more trouble.  But I did get a better insight into the process.  I'd need to sit down for an education with some hands on time before/until I understood completely how/why this process is accomplished.  He made it slightly clearer than mud though.. :scratch:
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

HV

I also didnt see him blending the VEs at all...or at least didnt show it...  :scratch:
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Golfman

It seemed to me that he was tuning for HP in every area. I'm not sure this would be the best overall tune. Why would you care about Max HP when you are in the "cruise" mode. I would want to get good gas mileage in the "cruising range"; and get max HP only when you are at 80% or more throttle.

War Horse

This is kinda what I was getting at, most of you guys have done this and had the equipment/tools in front of you, as Lew said "hands on" , to those of us that havent, just reading about it doesnt make a whole lot of sense, mainly because the dicussions get over involved and argumentative with everybody trying to prove the other wrong. Seeing this in action,on Youtube or in person, wether right or wrong , gives a somewhat clearer picture of whats happening during the process.

troop

I bought an opened, unused software CD and installed just to get an idea. Wow !! MY old PCIII on a past metric bike was sooo much easier. I pondered buying dongles/DVD training video just to maybe do some smart tunes but think I'll pass. Aharp just tuned my bike and I certainly don't want to click something to a wrong spot and fvck things up :). Thinking the tune is good for 95%+ of my riding ??

Jeffd

I say we get a little kitty going and pay Mayor, Steve Cole, and Doc to put together a how to video on vtuning the TTS.  I will throw the first $20 in the pot.

War Horse

Quote from: Jeffd on March 12, 2012, 05:50:05 AM
I say we get a little kitty going and pay Mayor, Steve Cole, and Doc to put together a how to video on vtuning the TTS.  I will throw the first $20 in the pot.

If they could explain in detail for say a beginer , I'd be in ...

Even maybe somehow get a chart of acronyms that we could look up, this has been a problem even in the auto industry as every manufacture has different ones.

glens

Quote from: HV on March 11, 2012, 08:19:52 PM
I also didnt see him blending the VEs at all...or at least didnt show it...

Not "blending", just dickin' with.

Here's a screenshot from the second video.  Just prior to this, at 5:11, he highlights the upper left corner of the VE table and talks about changes to make there (the "idle block"), then he says to go in and check the "low speed circuits" (highlighted in this image).  He follows that up by saying "at this point the process is done; the bike's ready to be delivered."

Assuming he'd hit all those cells in his smart-tune data runs and then incorporated the results back into the calibration, any changes he makes to these areas are going to get undone if he leaves them in closed-loop.  Even if they get "restored" to what the ECM wants there, in all likelihood the results won't be as good as if he'd left them alone.  And even if the results are as good, the adaptive mechanism will be "used up" to at least a certain extent in that area, just to get things back to where they should have been.

Maybe there are problems with the O2 sensors and/or too-open mufflers, and that's the reason these areas don't get "right" via smart tune, and that's certainly a possibility.  But if so, actions other than changes in the calibration are more appropriate to take to get things up to snuff.

Ideally, when you're done smart-tuning, the adaptive mechanisms will be perfectly centered within their range of operation, leaving them the most room in any direction to do their thing in the future when the need arises.

Maybe a final smart-tune session, using the CLBs (if used in the calibration, lambda values otherwise) and spark timing which are desired for the final results, cannot even be done.  It's my understanding that when opting for specific CLBs/lambda and spark timing for a smart-tune session, when you click on the "for smart tune" checkbox before loading the calibration these areas get changed "for you" behind the scenes.  The first chance I get, I'm going to try to set up a calibration the way I want it for smart tune and load it into the bike without checking that box.  I want to see how well that works.  Unless some other parameters in the calibration, things we'd have not control over anyway get set specially for smart tune, then it should work almost as well as a v-tune in some respects.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

Tsani

March 12, 2012, 09:52:16 AM #12 Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 01:03:58 PM by Tsani

That's really not a bad idea.  :emoGroan:Just one problem tho. We can't even talk about using TTS for tuning in the Tuning section without it turning into a bitchfight, how is a video going to get done and presented? Cause you you know we are going to have questions. I was real interested when Steve started the thread about Kpa and look what happen! :wtf: And for the record, I understand most of it, it's just the timing area that puzzles me right now. Plus I have to quit riding long enough to do the O2 mod :embarrassed:
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

turboprop

Would rather see Maxheadflow, Stroker, JDs and Mayor. Maybe aharp as well.
'We' like this' - Said by the one man operation.

HV

He did say that after messing with the timing he got a 1 HP increase  :scratch: ...or did I hear wrong..... I'm sure the last block tuning was done and then just re flashed not smart tuned ...still fun to watch  :bike: /....a lot of time spent for 1 HP ...I'm not sure if my Butt Dyno would be calibrated that fine ...........
HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Dennis The Menace

Quote from: turboprop on March 12, 2012, 11:08:13 AM

Amen...also, they all need to meet at (FLTRI) Bobs shop for the dyno setup.....yeah, I will throw a Jackson on that pile.  lol  Hell, I will provide the video camera for it!

War Horse

Maybe to many egos involved, if that could be put aside and get the basics for dummies down, without all the staturing, we might could all learn.

Yeah , I was very disappointed in the KPA thread dieing like it did, not to mention Max's valve seat comparison thread.... maybe these guys are suffering burnout too....  :nix:

I know this probably wont go to far..... ya know to much hush, hush top secret information .  :banghead:

FLTRI

Quote from: War Horse on March 12, 2012, 02:15:19 PM
Maybe to many egos involved, if that could be put aside...[Not gunna happen]
... maybe these guys are suffering burnout too....[to some degree]
I know this probably wont go to far..... ya know too much hush, hush top secret information . [Each tuner feels their way is the best way]
Bob
PS - HV, Coyote, is the above OK? This is the best I've come up with. Suggestions?
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

glens

Quote from: FLTRI on March 12, 2012, 05:44:37 PM
Quote from: War Horse on March 12, 2012, 02:15:19 PM
Maybe to many egos involved, if that could be put aside...
[Not gunna happen]
Quote... maybe these guys are suffering burnout too....
[to some degree]
QuoteI know this probably wont go to far..... ya know too much hush, hush top secret information .
[Each tuner feels their way is the best way]

Bob
PS - HV, Coyote, is the above OK? This is the best I've come up with. Suggestions?

How about that?

Just type (without quotes or spaces) "[ /quote]" before your intermediate response and "[ quote]" before resuming the quote.  Remember, the commands need to be balanced.  A quick preview can confirm whether you've got it right or not.

Ardy

Quote from: Dennis The Menace on March 12, 2012, 02:11:38 PM
Quote from: turboprop on March 12, 2012, 11:08:13 AM

Amen...also, they all need to meet at (FLTRI) Bobs shop for the dyno setup.....yeah, I will throw a Jackson on that pile.  lol  Hell, I will provide the video camera for it!

I'd be willing to let 'em use my bike as the star of the show.... and I'll throw in a twenty!
Guns don't kill people.
Drivers on Cell Phones do.