May 04, 2024, 11:23:45 PM

News:

Welding on harley castings

Started by hrdtail78, January 22, 2009, 04:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdtail78

Asking for a friend.  What type of rod should be used to tig weld on harley's casting.  Is it different from evo to shovel.  Was wondering about shovels.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

Memnar

What kind of metal? Cast iron, alum..etc...?? Are you wanting to weld any year or a specific year. It matters to give you an answer.

Erik
Albuquerque, NM.

Ultrashovel

Here's a Lincoln Electric article on various filler metals depending upon the type of base metal that you have. I don't know what Harley is using in their crankcases. I bet someone does, though.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/tigalum.asp

The two principal types that most welders use for general aluminum repair, say on 6061-T6, which is a common alloy, are 4043 and 5356. Here's another link speaking about the qualities of each in that regard.

http://www.thefabricator.com/AluminumWelding/AluminumWelding_Article.cfm?ID=1458

It's always best to determine what grade of alloy you are welding before you strike an arc since the filler metal needs to be matched to the base metal, but I'm sure you already know that.

It's extremely important to clean the metal as well as possible beforehand. I use a stainless steel brush and I also have a commercial liquid cleaner that contains some phosphoric acid. I also use acetone for a final cleaning.

Preheat is also important when doing a large casting, I've done several sets of Panhead cylinder heads to replace the exhaust stubs. I use wax sticks that melt at a predetermined temperature. 250 degrees F. is more than enough.

If you already know this stuff, just ignore. I like to type.

Happy Trails.  :teeth:

hrdtail78

Thanks for the replies.  I am looking for the filler material to weld a 66 head that is cracked around the valve guide. (typical crack)  Looking for the filler rod for this.  What would be great if someone could tell me the filler for evo also, but the 66 head would work for now.  TIA
Semper Fi

Skullfork

For aluminum casting of various types, I have a lot of success at work using Cronatron 510T all-purpose aluminum alloy rods. 

Ultrashovel

January 24, 2009, 06:51:11 PM #6 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 06:53:21 PM by Ultrashovel
Quote from: hrdtail78 on January 24, 2009, 12:26:27 PM
Thanks for the replies.  I am looking for the filler material to weld a 66 head that is cracked around the valve guide. (typical crack)  Looking for the filler rod for this.  What would be great if someone could tell me the filler for evo also, but the 66 head would work for now.  TIA

For a '66 era head, 4043 would work nicely with cleaning beforehand. The earlier heads were practically pure aluminum of lower numerical grade than the later ones. They were generally sand cast and contained less silicon and other additives than later heads. They should weld nicely with 4043.

Here's another Lincoln Electric article that goes into descriptions of various grades of aluminum.

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/knowledge/articles/content/comistakes.asp

I really don't know what grade of aluminum was used in the Evolution and later heads. I know for a fact that they don't weld as nicely as the earlier years. I understand that silicon was used in those later castings to increase hot fluidity for casting and also post-production strength. Both silicon and magnesium increase difficulty of welding to a certain extent, although not to the extent of making welding impossible.

The items that I've found to be difficult to weld are older, sand cast Harley primaries and transmission cases. They are porous and will often ooze oil once heated, ever after cleaning. They can be welded but it's a matter of clearing out the oil. Older British bike aluminum parts are the same way. They were made out of melted-down WW II fighter planes.

Good luck.

wfolarry

I weld them with the 4043. They do weld nice. Just be careful with cracks. Sometimes thuse cracks can be very deep. Thbe last shovelhead I did  had a big sand pocket in there. Was cutting out the crack & thought I struck gold. :smileo:

jsachs1

4043 and a little light hammer action for me.Works awesome.  :up:
John