May 02, 2024, 10:31:07 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

they finally did it ..

Started by nomadbkr, January 22, 2009, 10:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomadbkr

January 22, 2009, 10:51:14 PM Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 11:06:02 PM by nomadbkr
.. kina pisses me off a bit ..
.. I think I'm the one that gave them the idea ..
.. wanting to save a buck, and do something a bit different; 'bout a year ana half ago, I asked Jireh to sell me a set of their evo motor cases without the base stud holes drilled so I could build a shovel mill with their cases ..
.. they wouldn't do it, so I went on to explain that I could simply drill my own holes and turn their evo cases into shovel cases ..
.. they again said it wan't possible to get cases off the assembly line before the holes are drilled ..
.. I thought that to be BS and tried to talk them into it explaining what I wanted to do and how it wouldn't take much for them to offer a shovel motor by doing the same ..

.. I was then transferred to "the one to talk to 'bout it"" ..

.. after talking to supposedly who was the one to get to, my request was still refused ..

.. so I went on with my project and built with Delkron cases ....

.. now I see they took my idea and are running with it ..  :dgust:

.. now available .. "call for details" ..

http://www.jirehcycles.com/

.. I don't know nuthin 'bout the new shovel mill they now offer, 'cept it looks to have STD heads and the cases I wanted to use ..
.. can't find a price on the site .. but if their other pricing is any indicator, it's probably cheap ..

nomad

76shuvlinoff

Seems like I saw somewhere (pretty unspecific there huh?) that it was under $4.000.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

billbuilds

I saw a 96"er on Flea Bay for $5995.00. Dual plugged heads, three bolt exhaust flanges 9.5:1 compression. Six  month, six thousand mile warranty. Not in my budget though.
Anybody who tries to tell you that the press is the enemy of the people is just that.

76shuvlinoff

yeah, looking through my email this morning I think that $4K number was not the "shovel head" version.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

ricochet

You gotta know Jireh wouldn't bother with something like this unless there was volume behind it.  The cases could be had from STD or S & S like you wanted or even with the holes where you wanted but definately not at a Jireh like price.  Although specials are not bad considering their special.

It's getting really weird out there where you can buy any size Ultima Motors up to 140 " for like under $4000.

WOW!

ricochet

shovelbill

build it, bust it.....figure out why

Hybredhog

Thats' an Ultima case, as it has the solid sloped front motormount pads. Their new shovel is an entirely in house product, just like the Ultima V2 engines. Jihra is owned by the son of the owner of Midwest cycle & Midwest is the money behind all the Ultima products...Jeff
'01 FXDXT, '99 FXDL/XRD, '76 FLH

nomadbkr

January 23, 2009, 09:56:19 AM #7 Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:14:48 AM by nomadbkr
jeffcycle ..

.. yea .. I know all that ..
.. those are as you pointed out Ultima early Evo cases ..
.. internally near the same as shovelhead cases 'cept for the location of the base bolt holes ..
.. they didn't offer motor cases for shovelhead's, so I wanted those cases without the base bolt holes drilled so I could drill and tap my own in the proper location to accept shovel jugs ..

.. they wouldn't sell me cases without the base bolt holes and at the time didn't offer shovelhead motor cases ..
.. I even offered to buy their Ultima Evo crank assembly balanced for the pistons I was using .. they agreed to that, but refused to sell me the cases drilled for shovelhead or not drilled at all ..
.. nuthin I said would talk them into it ..
.. by the time I got done trying, I'd told them how to do it .. LOL ..
.. not that they needed the lesson .. but I think it possible that it might not have been a consideration until I brought it to their attention that simply relocating 8 holes would mean a shovelhead motor could be built entirely from their existing Jireh catalog ..
.. Jirehcycles is a "factory outlet" for Ultima ..

.. I'm not taking credit for giving them the idea here .. I just find it coincidental that it all of a sudden they add to their product line exactly what they refused me to help me with my project ..
.. probably just as well .. the mill I built with more expensive but quality parts is doing well and I'm happy with it ..

.. one good thing that might come out of Jireh now offering a shovel crate motor, is that they might start carrying more pre-Evo parts, and might finally offer those Ultima motor cases drilled for shovelhead jugs ..
.. maybe ..
.. it would be good for those of us on a budget if they do ..
.. far as I know, those cases will accept both Evo and Shovelhead flywheel assemblies ..

nomad

nomadbkr

January 23, 2009, 10:49:29 AM #8 Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 10:59:47 AM by nomadbkr
.. I just called ..
.. it only comes as a 96" ..
.. the cases are just as I thought .. Evo cases drilled for shovel jugs ..
.. the crank is just as I thought .. 5 pc Evo assembly with their "Cirillo" style rods ..
.. those ARE STD 3 bolt heads .. only one cam choice .. don't know which one, but she said a .450" lift and 265 duration .. (A grind maybe ?)
.. $5,095.00 .. ? .. ?? ..  :wtf:

.. and get this .. I checked the Ultima site to be sure ..
.. the motor cases alone are not available ..
:hyst:

.. oh well ..

.. just have to wait an see if their shovel crate motor will mean more parts availabilty for our beloved shovelheads ..

nomad

ricochet

It's going to interesting where this market is going with these shovel and pan type motors from more that one source and knuckles available again all the while trying to unload the big inch evo style engines.  I know folks don't like to think of them in the same class but this has got to put pain on the likes of S & S, Accurate, and many other premium suppliers.  That's of course unless there are that many people that have that much cash laying around.  No me.

I am currious who is it that makes those (Carrillo) type rods.  That's what came with my T & O crank for my knuckle.

ricochet

stroker800

We have done that exact set up a few years back.....A friend grenaded his lower end....we used evo cases,rods and & wheels, shovel cyls & heads ....Removed studs ,,,welded in holes ,,redrilled for shovel....My kids motor is right side evo,, left side shovel,,rods & wheels evo,,,top end shovel,,,all parts were mixed and matched from shop,,,,,after my guy did his thing and all parts were bought,,,,,,a smokin deal of only $1000 invested in motor,,( needs new rocker boxes)....All you need to know is a creative machinist..
Dave