May 09, 2024, 04:38:54 AM

News:

1200 Performance

Started by CharlieG, March 18, 2012, 02:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieG

I had a stage 1 done on my Sportster 48, SE race tuner, SE air cleaner and Vance & Hines staggered short shots, but it feels as though something is holding it back. Any suggestions for more speed. Changed a Buell Uly for the 48 a year ago.

WhipLash96

Could just have wrong map in it. But if you are looking for power, I would change cams as well.
Thanks,
Whip

PC_Hater

If you search through the 'AFR Zone' you will discover that the EFI Sportsters are hampered when it comes to tuning them. The ECU is cheaper and less powerful than that used on the big twins which is an outrage as far as I am concerned. Other EFI systems are available but are not cheap. A carb conversion could be done. And did the person who tuned the bike really know what they are doing?
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: CharlieG on March 18, 2012, 02:54:34 PM
I had a stage 1 done on my Sportster 48, SE race tuner, SE air cleaner and Vance & Hines staggered short shots, but it feels as though something is holding it back. Any suggestions for more speed. Changed a Buell Uly for the 48 a year ago.

Heads, cams, compression.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

prodrag1320

Hillside Motorcycle

Get all you ducks in a row, and a 1200 with, 100 hp at the wheel, SAE, can certainly be obtained. :smile:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

CharlieG

Thanks for the options, took it for a spin on friday night and managed 90 on a short stretch before I had to back off, only got 1100 miles on the clock, and most are short hops.
Think I will look into cams.    :smilep:

deathwish

If you have the baffles in the short shots they will kill the performance. They like about half the the baffle length.