April 28, 2024, 04:15:35 AM

News:

Best year Sportster for ridgid project

Started by svlhdleo, January 23, 2009, 09:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

svlhdleo

I was wondering what is the best year Sportster engine to use for project I was wanting to build.Factor should be what years have a way to work on transmission without splitting cases,most horsepower or the least amount of factory problems. I want to build a little hot rod ridgid with a Kansas Kustoms hardtail on it.
Thanks for your help, Leo

mayor

if it was me, I would choose a Buell instead of a sporty if you have a frame option. Preferably a Buell with XB or Thunderstorm heads. 

if you are set on a sporty, go with '91 and up.  5sp, belt drives are pretty reliable...if your borrowing parts from the donor bike, '00 and up has the better brakes, '04 and up have the rubber mount. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

fulldress79

My vote would be '90 and under 1200. The 4 speeds are simpler and easier to work on,plus most parts from any 4 speed from '52 up work,making parts cheaper and easier to find. Also '90 and back have replaceable tappet guides which is a plus.

traveler5769

2003 and older.  Rigid mount motor.  I'd suggest 1994 and newer.  better clutch adjustment setup.  My rigid had a 1993 motor, and the clutch adjustment was a real pain.

~Joe

chopper

Does anyone actually MAKE a hardtail (ether bolt-on or weld-on) for the newer Sportsters?  I'm toying with the idea of a lightweight bobber project and EVO Sporties are going pretty cheap around here..
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

traveler5769

svlhdleo

Chopper,
I am looking at the Kansas Kustoms website. The sell hardtail kits for Sportsters that they can sell you or send them your frame and they will install it on your frame for a reasonable cost. That is what I want to do so I can keep my same title and insurance rates. Also I would like to thank everyone that has responded to my thread as I would not make a move till consulting with HTT first.
Leo