April 28, 2024, 10:22:13 AM

News:

48 pan

Started by 2talljack, March 22, 2012, 09:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

2talljack

I may have a chance to buy a 48 pan. At this point I don't know too much about it. I have been told that it is in good shape. What should I be looking for as far as numbers, parts etc. Also any ideas what the pricing should be. So far I am being told that this person wants $10,000.

Thanks

Snuff™

One man's view on condition (good shape) might be anothers man's POS.  Lots of bikes out there in all kinds of condition.
Sorry, but I got'ta say it...

:wwp:
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Snuff™

Quote from: 2talljack on March 22, 2012, 09:29:19 AM
... What should I be looking for as far as numbers, parts etc. Also any ideas what the pricing should be...

What do you want for a bike?  Original, Chopper, Bobber, etc...
Start there and ask yourself, "How much am I going to spend (or have too change) to make it the way I want?"
Always assume (ass-u-me :hyst:) your going to go thru the motor/tranny to begin with $$$, and then...

hobo

I took a '58 Pan from a guy who bought it thinking it would be a cool ride, but ended up not wanting to put the time into the old girl to make her reliable and also didn't want the continued maintenance.  Not sure what you're looking for or your wrenching abilities, but I'll just say that I LIKE to wrench on old Shovels and Pans.  Good thing, because even after you make them as reliable as possible they have a way of talking back to ya at times, needing attention, etc.  Nothing better than cruising around on old steel, but just make sure you're willing to put the time and effort into keeping her roadworthy or you'll get frustrated quickly and she'll end up being someone else's project.  And it goes on and on and on...

Specifically, some design issues were addressed through the years, and '48 was on the very early side of the Pans.  Hard to say what's been done to her over the years, but still might be worth checking out the frame (if it's stock rigid, bonus), the belly numbers on the cases (to see whether she's grenaded over the years and had a case half replaced), what carb they have on her, if the tranny is original, if it's still 6-volt or has been upgraded to 12-volt, etc.  Heads on the Pans were a weak point and often cracked or had other damage.  Take a close look if you can, as you may have to enlist the help of a good welder to fix some of the normal damage that usually happens on 'em.

Have fun!

Snuff™

2tall,

Here's what I purchased for $6k about 7 yrs. ago.  Most (not all) parts were there and original '60.  Just an example.

panz4ever

Quote from: 2talljack on March 22, 2012, 09:29:19 AM
I may have a chance to buy a 48 pan. At this point I don't know too much about it. I have been told that it is in good shape. What should I be looking for as far as numbers, parts etc. Also any ideas what the pricing should be. So far I am being told that this person wants $10,000. Thanks

10K probably means it has been modified. Take someone with you that knows pans. Lots of number jobs on older bikes. Go to www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com. Free site run by Chris Haynes. He has a complete photo section on case numbers. This will give you a good base to determine if the numbers are good.

Lots of folks claim a bike has been "restored"...probably most overused word out there. Correctly done they go for a lot of green (not as much as an untouched original but can cost you double the amount of this price).

Speeding Big Twin

2tall, as mentioned above, pictures are what we need including clear shots of both sides of the bike in full. 

Possible model designations for a 1948 Pan are E, EL, F and FL. Originally the first two were 61ci (1000cc) and the other two were 74ci (1200cc). Some 1948 models are also sometimes referred to as ES and FS but I would not expect to see the letter S stamped in as part of the engine serial number although it may appear on some paperwork at times.

Below is a photo showing some of the characters in what looks to be a factory-stamped 48 Pan serial number:

Notice the shape of the number boss. Notice the open-top 4 and be aware that it's a certain type. Please pay close attention to this because there is at least one person (who I'll leave unnamed) selling an aftermarket number 4 stamp of a similar, but not identical, open-top style. Notice the 9/6 is a certain type with a straight back that is vertical.

I sent you a PM with other info regarding characters used by H-D for 1948–65 Panheads but if you're not sure about the serial number of the bike you'll be looking at then you could post a photo. And if you're concerned about it being on the internet then just cover a couple of sequence characters.

Also check the belly numbers stamped on the bottom of each crankcase half. They are near the outer edges and somewhat towards the front. They may be in a format similar to one of the following examples: 148-1234(5); or 248-1234(5). Characters in belly numbers are also of a certain style but they are often different characters to those used in the serial number so photos of them would help.   
Eric

2talljack

Thanks for the help. The bike ended up not being even close to original. Numbers were not right. the frame was after market. Instead of near original it was completely chopped and not done well.

Again thanks for all the help.

CraigArizona85248

Here is one example of what a truly original 48 panhead might bring: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=120880729854&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&autorefresh=true

$70,600!  That's the most I've ever seen for a panhead.  While that price is out there in dream land, it does indicate that there is real value in original unmolested panheads.

-Craig