May 01, 2024, 09:09:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

S&S 113 evo

Started by CDN.RG, January 23, 2009, 01:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDN.RG

A buddy of mine is thinking of getting one of these motors for his 1989 bagger ,was wondering how much hp and tq they put out and if they are a reliable well mannered motor that is decent on fuel because he plans to put some miles on it ,would appreciate any feedback from any riders familiar with this motor ...thanks
07 roadglide ,black pearl ,113 inch motor  ,tts tuner,propipe BP, super sucker.

wfolarry

The 113 is the best motor they ever made IMO. There are different ways to set it up but whatever you choose you won't be sorry.

JerseyT

Have one in my '95 RK.  Been as reliable as a rock. Power everywhere in rev range. Get between 35-38 mpg with a heavy throttle hand.

Kevin

I think the 113" is the magic set up for an Evo.
107" by Hyperformance
R&R St. 5 heads
R&R 615's & cam plate R&R roller rocker

Buddy WMC

Larry,
What about the Ultima 113, had any experience with them? I've read that they are reliable and really come to life with a little headwork and different head gasket. Problem areas seem to be the lifters and roller rockers which could easily be changed prior to installation.

Was thinking about the 100" kit from Revolution Performance built on a set of Ultima cases. I can still use the SE heads that we did and the 5015 V-Thunder cam. I found out that the only real difference between the V-Thunder and Woods 8 is only one degree in the timing.

Reddog74usa

The Ultima 113's are a nice engine. The rocker arms are now forged steel and the lifters are made by Johnson and are good units however I would just go with a set of H-D "B" lifters in either a S&S or an Ultima as they are my prference. No problem with the head gaskets either. The earlier engines did have their growing pains but they have corrected all that with the later engines. I have a Ultima 113 I bought used just fired up in the frame not run on the road but because it was fired I pulled it apart, sent the heads off to John Sachs for a cleanig up (S&S can also benifit from this)and checked the bottom end. The wheels were bout perfect at a half a thousands. Also Ultima uses a keyway in the shafts like Harley did on the earlier engines. All in all they are a great bang for the buck. Cam is made by Andrews,shafts are Jims and pistons are Mahle forged and coated. Ultima may have had some growing pains but there later engines are very good. I like S&S also but for some reason there quality control seems to be suffering. That and there higher prices can't be good for them. I hope they get it together as I do not want to see another American company go down.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

gryphon

The one really big thing I don't like about Ultima is their lack of customer support. Try finding a number to call if you have a question. That may be one of their cost cutting measures, I don't know but, I like to being able to call S&S if I have any questions. Can't do it with Ultima. At least, I've never found a Customer Service number. They just don't want to deal with anything directly.

Reddog74usa

January 24, 2009, 10:09:20 AM #7 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 10:14:05 AM by Reddog74usa
Thats a fact. There is a customer service number but you have to leave a message and then they get back to you. I have never had a problem with them returning my call however it would be a couple hours to the next day before I heard from them. This being said, they do seem to be commited to standing behined there product. I'm not saying there perfect just what I have seen for myself. I will admit it sucks not getting them on the phone when you call. And I also do not care for the fixed non adjustable ignition that comes with it.
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT

catmcaw

Buddy
  Have you talked to Rev. about SE heads with their 100' kit?  Do they offer the option of  dished pistons?

Buddy WMC

Yes,
I spoke with Andrew at Rev yesterday. In my case, we can stay with a forged flat top piston and a thicker head gasket. If I decide to go that way, my static compression will go up from 10.5 where it is now to 10.6 or 10.7. The recommended cam for that combo is a Woods 8 however, the timing on my V-thunder 5015 is only one degree different and will perform just fine.

I like the idea of building the engine myself. I also like being able to use my current cam, heads and other peripherals from the current engine to save a few bucks. I will send the heads off to Larry though to be freshened up if we decide to go that route.

wfolarry

I don't have any experience with the Ultima engines so I can't help you there. Ask John Sachs.
!00" motors are nice. I have a Twin Cam top on a set of Sputhe cases that ran good.

Porkchop

I've ran a 100" ultima motor for the last year and have had no issues. (10,000 mile) A little top end noise that I don't like, but it is a strong running motor that is priced right.  S&S is a great company but they better get on board or they are going to loose the market that took them where they are. Today's market is low dollar, or to survive in today's market you better be cost affection and they are not!  If you compare a 113 Ultima to an 113 S&S motor then the S&S is not worth the extra 3 grand.  Sorry S&S fans but that's the truth these days.  If you want the most bang for your buck then Ultima is where it's at and they stand behind their product.
Porkchop
Gun Powder & Women, live by one, die by the other and love the smell of both!

Hillside Motorcycle

The reason you are hearing noise(rocker cover area??)are the loose-fitted Chinese 1.675/1 roller rocker arns.
Change those out to an S&S unit and your noise will be gone.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Porkchop

Any idea what the S&S rocker arms cost?  I'm going to change the lifters at 20,000 and I might as well change the rockers too.

Thanks
Porkchop
Gun Powder & Women, live by one, die by the other and love the smell of both!

Buddy WMC

You can get a set of TP's with shafts for about $200.00 on eBay try seller Shovelheadkicker or do a rocker search. TP makes rockers and sells them to some other companies they are high quality and work just fine.

CDN.RG

if he gets this motor should he look into getting a better starter or does the s&s 113 start pretty easy? thanks

JerseyT

The S&S 113 comes with automatic Electronic Compression Releases.  Mine cranks over easier than a stock motor, even in the coldest weather.  Starting is never an issue hot or cold.

CDN.RG

Quote from: JerseyT on January 29, 2009, 07:58:46 PM
The S&S 113 comes with automatic Electronic Compression Releases.  Mine cranks over easier than a stock motor, even in the coldest weather.  Starting is never an issue hot or cold.

well it turns out my buddy bought the s&s 113 ,it has been sitting around for about 3 years,the guy bought it and never used it so my buddy got a good deal ,it has never been fired up,it comes with the super stock ignition ,he wants me to give him a hand to install it and I was talking to him on the phone and he said that someone he was talking too that is suppose to be in the know told him that he was going to have to modify the frame for it to fit but as far as I know or have read the 113 is suppose to be a drop in am I correct?(the bike is a 1989 FLHP)a few more questions I have before starting this project are  the super stock ignitions single fire and will he need to purchase a single fire coil for it to work proper?and what is involved when hooking up the automatic compression releases? any help would be much appreciated thanks.

gryphon

According to S&S the 113ci is a little shorter than stock and should drop right in. In regards to wiring the releases, the instructions can be downloaded from the S&S site. Pretty simple

CDN.RG

thanks for the info gryphon.

hardonthemerch