May 04, 2024, 01:18:21 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

OT - Computer: "Laptop to Desktop" connection

Started by Faast Ed, January 23, 2009, 02:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faast Ed

I have 4 Desktops hardwired on a home network. I prefer to keep it as a hardwired set-up (has been problem free for eons).

What are my available options, to get a laptop to communicate with the main desktop?
Can adding a card of some sort to the main computer do this? If so what type of card?
I know the kids WII and DS communicate with a USB plug wifi thingy, but I believe those to be limited to their games (haven't confirmed that).

There is no need to trade files with the entire network, just looking to surf the web from the recliner without having an ethernet cable across the floor.
≡Faast Ed>

northbrun

easiest way i know of is with a wireless router...is the laptom wireless ready? if so just plug the router in the incomming cabel and the laptop should be able to find it.

Ricinflorida

Most new laptops are wireless ready I was planning to plug a wireless router into my network to allow surfing through out the house. When The laptop arrived I found I was already receiving a signal I assume compliments of one of my neighbors.
While I could easily continue to use the free connection, I plan to pick up my own router tomorrow and then protect the signal with encryption.

Ric

Panzer

January 23, 2009, 03:00:16 PM #3 Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 03:03:03 PM by Panzer
Faast,
I acquired a laptop for Christmas from the wife, no chrome.
The daughter-in-law gave me a wireless contraption call "Dynex".
You can hook up 4 puters on this "Dynex" black box also.
From the back of the wireless you can hook up the desktop and the laptop.
Now, I can sit beside the wife with the laptop while she watches TV, or the easy chair and go on-line to all points north and south.
I believe the wireless she purchased was from Best Buy.
Estimated cost $39.00 to $49.00. (Dynex wireless router.)
It's secure, so a passer by can't tap into my puters, otherwise I wouldn't have it.
If it wasn't for the snow, I'd have it outback on the patio, beer in hand and scanning HTT.

Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

smokey3644

If your note book already has a wireless card, I'd go to a discount hardware place (Amazon has pretty good prices) and buy something like a Linksys wire less router.  I think the one I got last year (WRT54G) was 29 bucks.  It took a few minutes to set up ( I did need a short cable to hook up the desk top that's not included).  Works great we can use a note book anywhere on our property including my shop. :teeth:
One never knows, does one. (Fats Waller)

Faast Ed

Thanks guys.

Yes the laptop is already wireless, but my home network has nothing wireless about it. I would prefer to add whatever needed to get the laptop to communicate - without changing anything effecting the current (wired) network. I was hoping for something simple, and will investigate the Dynex. Might be my answer.

Again, thanks to all.
≡Faast Ed>

FSG

You already have 4 desktops hardwired  well they must be connected to a 4(or greater) port hub/switch.

The easiest way is to just connect the Laptop using its RJ45/Network connector to the same hub/switch.  If its only a 4 port unit then get a bigger one.

I run an 8 Port SMC Router and all computers (Desk & Laptop) are hardwired to it.  The kids unplug the Cat5 Cable when they take the Lappies to school.

Faast Ed

January 23, 2009, 05:06:19 PM #7 Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 05:08:27 PM by Faast Ed
Good advise Sir G, but the Switch is upstairs and the recliner is downstairs. (It involved much less Ethernet cable that way). One long stretch from the main PC, then all shorter ones from the switch to the other three PC's.

Perhaps a router plugged into the switchbox might do it, without having to reconfigure the original network?  (Laptop being the only user of the router).
Original hope was that they made a card that I could add to the puter, or even better a USB contraption like the kids have for DS.

It seems like the average Joe has their network totally wireless, so the non-average Ed has some research to do! LOL
≡Faast Ed>

Tow-Truck

Most wireless routers allow you to hard wire at least one computer. Plug your hub into that outlet and connect the laptop wireless.

Faast Ed

Sounds like the plan!  :up:

I appreciate all the replies.
≡Faast Ed>

kik

Depending on who you have as your ISP, you may have wireless already and just don't know it. I use AT&T DSL. I have 3 wired computers and 1 wireless laptop and the supplied DSL modem from AT&T is handling everything. I'd call the ISP and see if your modem is setup for wireless. If not maybe they can send you some new equipment.

Kik

FSG

While you don't need it, instead of running a 2nd long CAT5 cable remember there are CAT5 splitters available.

Panzer

Towtruck has the right Idea, exactly the way I have mine hooked up.
I have three ports empty on the router out of four.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Fxstchewy

Quote from: Panzer on January 23, 2009, 07:42:33 PM
Towtruck has the right Idea, exactly the way I have mine hooked up.
I have three ports empty on the router out of four.
Thats how mine is set-up.  :up:
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

Faast Ed

≡Faast Ed>