May 05, 2024, 01:10:48 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

More on Billy Lane

Started by fxstdavew, January 23, 2009, 04:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fxstdavew

Comments On Billy Lane’s Court Case-- I constantly read comments people are making about Billy Lane’s arrest pertaining to the collision that killed Gerald Morelock in Brevard County Florida.

It appears that many of them are assumptions, personal opinions and or contain distorted facts. I can understand how some of this happens as stories have a tendency to change as they are repeated. Most of the information starts with information printed in the Florida Today newspaper that is supplied by the State Attorney’s Office of Brevard County. The information is very carefully worded and is what the prosecutor Tom Brown would like the people reading it to believe.

There are also reports from the Brevard County Sheriff’s Department. In a situation where there is a collision and especially if a death is involved law enforcement are instructed to file every charge that they can against those involved. This is what is known as stacking charges and is done so that the prosecution can later drop charges that there are no legal grounds for. It is also very hard for the prosecution to add charges at a later date though in some cases they do.

Since Gerald Morelock died there was no way to file charges against him so charges were filed against Billy Lane. The Brevard County Sheriff’s Department stated in a report that the operators of both vehicles were operating under the influence of alcohol.

Billy Lane was charged with passing in a no passing zone, a charge that was later dismissed because it started in a legal passing zone.

The driving without a valid and or suspended license has also been dismissed.

What is not being said or mentioned are reports that Gerald Morelock who was operating a scooter pulled out into the lane of traffic that Billy Lane was using to pass other vehicles. It should be noted that Morelock was not in that lane when the pass was started.

The actions of Gerald Morelock caused the collision and his death. The fact that Morelock was under the influence of alcohol is also not being mentioned anymore.

The Florida Today newspaper is referring to Billy Lane as a celebrity and it appears that the prosecutor is handling it that way. It is the prosecutor’s job to try and get a conviction and that is how they are graded and also get promoted.

The Brevard County Court system has come under a lot of criticism lately because of how they handle cases including two where men were sent to prison and later found Not Guilty because of D&A Evidence.

Because this case has been getting so much publicity there is some doubt that Billy Lane will get a fair and unbiased trial. Hopefully he will and the court or jury will decide if he is guilty or not or to what degree. They will have the benefit of all the facts in this case to help make that decision unlike many others who are voicing their opinion on the internet and elsewhere.

For those of you that call your selves bikers and or motorcyclist you should be getting the real facts and then making a educated decision to support Billy Lane in this case because Gerald Morelock is the one that cause the collision that took his life!

--Rogue

Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

Deye76

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

harborjohn

Wasnt he drunk and driving on the wrong side of the road with a suspended license.......nuff said

truck

I wasn't aware that the dead man pulled onto the highway into oncoming traffic.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

specialx1

Billys drinking and driving is nonfactor huh but the others guys is, interesting  :dgust:
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

highlander

Quote from: harborjohn on January 23, 2009, 04:23:06 PM
Wasnt he drunk and driving on the wrong side of the road with a suspended license.......nuff said

+1
Why are we just sitting here, Lets ride.

rugguy51

I didn't know also if I started in a legal passing zone I could drive the rest of the day in that lane.

blacknchromehd

Are you for real? Billy was on the wrong side of the road, drunk and drove over a man going the other way on a scooter? And you want to support him. This guy should be treated like everyone else and spend some serious time in jail. Maybe he might sober up.

I ran into him in Laconia in 2004 at the Broken Spoke...drunk on his ass and riding his bike into the show area...Real class act...Drunks on bike is not cool...not at all...

Bill in pa
If you own one you should ride it...not polish it..not look at it...ride the dam

Molly

This is the only reference to BL I've seen in ages. Haven't given it a second thought and couldn't give a rat's arse about him. Weren't the deceased's family going to sue the motor co. that supplied his car because, given his history of driving convictions, it was an unwise decision? How did that go?

stroker800

Lets all take a poll,,,,,,,,do you think this would have been blown all up in the news if it didn't involve someone famous???
   Don't most of the "new" HD riders ride this bike  for the "bad ass " factor???,,,,You know who you are... Can anyone honestly say they not had 1-2-3 drinks any maybe drove or rode ????? And be HONEST...I have done and been very lucky,,,now older I don't......I also don't go around pointin fingers...It is sad someone had lost there life,,,but agian for the god fearing people they are in heaven.....Personally I would rather die ridin my bike than fightin in a war in some 3rd world country.....So too all do gooders ,,,saints,,,and perfect people .....I HOPE WE NEVER MEET UP FOR A RIDE,,,,,,CAUSE I WILL DISAPPOINT YOU.
Dave

calbyker69

Shouldn't this post's title be "Moron Billy Lane"?
I doubt you will find much sympathy here.
Just another overexposed celebrity that thought he was above the laws of physics and couldn't handle his fame and fortune.
Drink, drive, kill, go to jail.

HDSlowride

Huh???

B.L. had a suspended license because he had a previous DUI. Didn't learn much from it, did he? Unconcerned about the safety of others. Didn't care.

A double yellow line means "do not cross". Think of it as a solid wall between the lanes. It's not OK to jump out there a few feet before the double yellow starts and come back in whenever you please. Careless. Unconcerned with the safety of others. Must have "special" privileges.

Why wouldn't Morelock have pulled out into his lane to go down the road. You wouldn't think someone would be coming at you the wrong way in your lane with a double yellow separating the lanes. And Morelock caused his own death??? you shittin' me?????

'07 Ultra Classic

CndUltra88

January 23, 2009, 06:40:21 PM #12 Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:43:14 PM by CndUltra88
Only sympathy I have is that he is being convicted  in public and not in a court of law.
I thought he was down to earth before the incident, but when I read now that there are more past troubles with booze I turned my back.
I dont care if you drink or smoke some pot, please dont ride on the same road as myself or the people I care about if you indulge in either of those activities. Even if it is just down the block to your house.
'nuff said again.
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan

fxstdavew

This just goes to show there is always more to the story the what is first heard. Fact is it's just sad. Both share some responsibility one paid the ultimate price the other is going to be financially done and as prove here oustersized from our community,and may spend sometime put away.Plus having to live with what has happened.
Most bike problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebar to the seat

kik

It's this kind of stuff that I don't understand. It's not just Billy Lane, look at all the celeb in the last couple of years, drinking and driving or other drugs in their systems. Now if I had the money some of these people have and I wanted to go have a good time, I'd just rent a limo and driver. Drink party til you puke and have someone else do the driving. What's so hard about this line of thinking?

Kik

PoorUB

:wtf:
I am sticking with the rest of the bunch! Billy was driving on the wrong side of the rode, with a suspended license, and drunk. I don't give a rats ass if the other driver was blind and wearing a hula skirt. He was in his lane, and Billy ran him over. Only one driver had the legal right to be in the lane.
If Billy walks on this the legal system down there is a farce! As for Billy being a nice guy, or down to earth, I am not buying it. Anytime I saw film on him he seemed to be an egotistcal moron. The only reason he has any fame is he can build bikes that are un-ridable, like the one where the seat caught on fire! Any dope watching the show could see that coming!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

apendejo

Amazing what time and money can buy.

AP

L-

I guess we should be glad it wasn't a little kid pulling into the street on a bicycle in their lane as it is far better to kill a drunk?   Police officers write up what was observed and the statutes that were violated.  If this is stacking then so what?  Looks like ole Billy was doing some stacking of his own.  How does Dodge feel about giving this idiot the truck to drive anyway?  If it is down to drunks killing drunks then we should at least let them be armed alike and let the winner go free.  Right?

specialx1

gee poor billy , a guy cant even go out and get drunk and drive and kill  someone on the way home anymore without
getting in trouble,and then he is looked down upon by the biker community, poor poor Billy,!!!!!!
drink drive kill someone ya i feel real bad for him that he has to spend some money to hire a lawyer, ya one guy pays the ultimate price by dying for his drinking but lets feel sorry for the other drunk who has been convicted before on DUI,
yet he still feels he can go out and do it again this time a life is taken!!! ya Life just isnt fair to billy
Keep the drunks off the road and if they cant stay off em when drinking then incarcerate there ASS before more people die and more kids have to be raised with out a parent or kids lives them selves are taken away!!!!!
Poor Billy !!! (Gimme a F..kin break)
JMHO
Specialx1
it's only kinky the first time

Fxstchewy

I guess the guy on the "ped" paid for his actions with his life and the courts are going to decide if BL pays for his, sad for all involved including the familys of both.
"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can have the change."

02roadcling

January 24, 2009, 05:18:22 AM #20 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 05:24:45 AM by 02roadcling
Rogue always defends this guy. Maybe they have a secret together.  :smileo:
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

MrClean

In Wisconsin both drivers are drug and alcohol tested in a fatal traffic accident.  Makes no difference if both are drunk.  The surviving driver will still be charged with vehicular homicide.  You have heard it before, two wrongs don't make a right.

If you pass and have to cross the double lines to get back in your own lane, you are passing in a no passing zone no matter if you started your pass legally.

The lawyers will present there case and the judge will make a decision.

I believe this type of case goes on in every state in the Union.  Because of Billy's fame it just makes good fodder for the general public to chew on.
These are the facts according to my opinions.

One4Tone

January 24, 2009, 05:43:48 AM #22 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 05:46:39 AM by One4Tone
..well I' sure you've  all heard of MAD (mad mothers against drunk drivers)...well with all those dropped charges maybe Billy's got DAM behind him...(drunk drivers against mad mothers)...  :duel:

MrClean

Some charges being dropped, but a new one added.

Additional Felony Charge Filed Against Billy Lane
Published by Cyril Huze January 7th, 2009 in Builders, Editorial and Events.
As you know, I only report and never make any personal judgments in any private legal case.

Two years ago, Billy Lane was charged with one count of DUI manslaughter in connection with a Labor Day 2006 traffic accident in which 56-year-old Sebastian Gerald Morelock died.  Courts records show that prosecutors have filed an additional second vehicular homicide felony charge also punishable by up to 15 years in prison. DUI manslaughter requires proof that the defendant caused or contributed to the crash and had an unlawful blood-alcohol level. A vehicular homicide simply requires proof of reckless driving. Prosecutor Tom Brown states that the issue of admissibility of the blood evidence will not be resolved until trial so he had to go ahead with the added charge, This new charge ensures prosecutors to be able to proceed at trial, no matter the judge’s ruling on the blood evidence. Billy Lane trial is set to begin February 9th.

These are the facts according to my opinions.

Clintster

Being fascinated with celebraties is fulltime for many folks.  I am still amazed I read this entire thread.  It does seem the law is for sale, if you have big bucks for attorneys you will do better than an ordinary schmuck who has a run in with the law.  Drinking and driving is against the law, I have done it.  As  I get older and wiser, it is a behavior I would like to think I have outgrown.
Drive fast, take chances