April 28, 2024, 10:16:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Balance Masters Compensator

Started by gofastmoose, January 23, 2009, 04:48:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gofastmoose

Balance Masters Compensators.
Are they any good?
Anyone try one?

rdkng

A friend of mine put one on his 1996 softail and he thought it smoothed it out
a good bit.  So later he put one on his twin cam Roadking and it didnt help.  So
I'm guessing they may help rigid mounts but not rubber mounts. 
rdkng   
Happy Motoring, Road King George

JohnS_Rosamond

First, they don't help rubber mounted or balanced motors much at all.  However, I would suggest that you not use them.  I started using them on sportsters (about 1993 or so) and then I tried a set on a big twin (Evo).  Everything was good, until I had one of the sportsters come back with a wicked vibration.  The clutch balance master disc had ripped at the centre and was flopping around.  I had another bike come back with a failure of the cluct disc balancer.  So, I called the people I'd put them on and suggested that they take it off.  Then on my own 1991 XL, I had at the time, the front compensator balancer somehow got off centred and made the engine thrash around something awful.  The hole in the compensator balancer is bigger than the centre bolt O.D. and it is (I found out) possible for them to shift, even if nothing has changed since installation.  So, I wont ask you not to run one, but you should carry an outer primary gasket and oil for when you eventually have get the bike apart again to take 'em out.

John S

gofastmoose

Thank for your help. I think I will pass on one.
I have a FLHTC, but i put STA-BO bushing in my swingarm.
I get some vibration. OK with me , but my wife complains.