April 27, 2024, 04:18:48 AM

News:

12oo air filter

Started by jazzman713, January 23, 2009, 10:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jazzman713

im looking for a good air filter other than k&n i would like something biger than stock size like the zippers filter but they dont make 1 for the sportster

mayor

A standard high performance a/c is all you need.  Anything beyond that on a stock to mild 1200 is spending additional money for no gains.  The Zipper's filter and other higher flow options is going to be overkill for your bike unless you have all of the following: ported heads, larger than stock carb and the rest of the build capable of still producing hp in the higher rpms. 

to give you more a/c options: you can change your a/c over to a round filter quite easily.  I run a round filter on my sporty.  If you don't mind the look, you can also go with an a/c option like the forcewinder. 
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

jazzman713

so i can use a vtwin s/e backing plate and put it in this 1200 if thats the case thats what im going to do thanks

mayor

the evo or TC plate (for a CV) will work, but you'll need to pick up a mounting bracket designed for the sportster to hold the carb in place.  You'll need a set up kinda like this:

I borrowed that pic from Dennis Kirk (H30-0820).  That's where I bought the mounting bracket that I use, but my breather set up is a little different.  I ran mine up to the frame, then down behind the oil tank, with the end dangling just below the pivot point of the swingarm.
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions