May 02, 2024, 10:55:51 AM

News:

Lowering my '82

Started by Simons_shovel, January 24, 2009, 02:21:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simons_shovel

What are the options for lowering the rear end of my 1982 FXRS?  I dont really want to go to shorter shocks as I have a set of koni dial-a-rides which I am really happy with.

76shuvlinoff

January 24, 2009, 04:22:44 AM #1 Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 04:25:47 AM by 76shuvlinoff
Relocate the shock mounts on your swingarm by cutting them off and rewelding them?
I am not sure if your swingarm is different from my 76 but I've seen guys move the mounts back, 7/8" makes a big difference.

I installed an adjustable swingarm on mine because (cheap) shorter shocks suck.  Some guys don't like the adjustable swingarms because of the bolt-together factor.   I've got over 20,000 miles on mine with no issues yet.

I believe Gryphon got a good deal on some short quality shocks and he's pretty happy with the ride.

It seems like it's possible to flip a swingarm over but I've never tried it.  That would be real low.

You gotta be looking at the belt /chain clearance too.

Mark

Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

shovelbill

you could look for something like this:
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BB%2DLOWERING%2DFXR
perhaps adapt something from the FLT, 'same' frame basically...
build it, bust it.....figure out why

gryphon

Unfortunately the early FXR's are not so easy to lower without changing shocks. The shock mount on the swingarm is pretty much already as far back as it can go. Most of your available options (except for changing shocks) are gonna be pretty drastic. A set of 11.5" Progressive 440's will drop 'er right down but as you mentioned, you don't want to give up the shocks you have now. Another option is changing seats. We put a Lepara "Barebones" seat on the FXR we built for my son and with it's narrow profile and rounded edges it really lowers the rider (if not the actual bike) quite a bit. Below is a picture showing the seat and how low it sets with shorter shocks. Bear in mind that a low profile seat won't be as comfortable as a big plush one. You could add an inch to the overall length of the swingarm but that might be a little more drastic than you want to get.

hotham

I have an 82 FXR and years ago I put some 11 1/2" shocks on.  The chain hits the bracket under the battery box.  I finally changed the fork tubes and went to 12 1/2 " shocks.  Keep in mind that when you lower it,  the kickstand becomes a problem.

Snuff™

Word to the Wise,

Years ago I installed 11" shocks on the rear and 1.5" White Bros. on my '82 EG and a wedge under the kickstand mount (which took care of the stand issue).  She looked really neat, slung low, except on the day I leaned her over to far (which really was'ent that far). The rear wheel loss contact with the pavement and she sleed across the road. That was the last day with that setup, except for the wedge I have installed.

-Snuff

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Every day, I'm one day closer...  WTF!  I'm not near 70 yrs. old!

Simons_shovel

Thanks for all your replies.  I have just fitted a smaller seat, its one of the ultima gel seats so hopefully wont be too much of a pain in the rear.  I like the look of the rear wheel being tucked under the fender.  Maybe shorter shocks is my best route.  Or maybe I could get some shorter springs for my Konis.  I think they are now manufactured under a differnt name.

Nice looking ride Gryphon.

:smile:

pappyfreebird

on my 80 flt since shocks r on end of swingarm ,,we hadda add sluggs in ends n run her back 1 1/2 "s drop her noicely n never rubbed either

randallwhitman

Wouldn't a lowering kit for a touring model do the job?  They move the swingarm shock mounts down and to the rear.  All that gear bolted up to the swingarm might look a little funky, but it should work.  And you keep your good shocks.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

vern

i put a set of nitrogen shocks of a older honda on my 84 fxr. lower it by an inch but the ride improved by 100%. vern

pappyfreebird

ya know like mr whitmayun sez maybe them newer styles will werk..i have them on my 94 blingthing n fine alone ...but 2 up better make sure ta air up shocks..purty sure front been dropped too..nawt sure how ain been in there n were like that when bought it...do know the ol 80 flt nevar bottumed least that i noticed