May 04, 2024, 09:37:14 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Took A Servey From HD, Need To Vent

Started by 176, January 24, 2009, 09:23:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HD sent me a servey by email on a call I had placed about the bad fuel filter housings in the early 08 touring bikes to the MoCo.  I had purchased my Ultra March 15th 08.  After reading about the fuel filter problem here on this site, I needed to know if my bike had the bad filter before going on my trip to Sturgis.  No person at the dealership where I purchased my bike could give me an answer.  They just tried to go around  it by saying we have only seen a few come in for that problem.  So I went on the HD web site to get the phone# to call and get an answer from the MoCo.  Wrong.  They could not give me the answer either.  Time was running short before my Sturgis trip, so I took the bike in to have it changed out.  Turns out it was the good filter housing, but they changed it anyway.  Also wanted them to find a noise coming from the primary. They not only charged me for the fuel filter deal, but then charged me for looking inside the primary to find there was nothing wrong @ a total of $230.00 (doubt they did anything, since they did not charge me for any primary fluid) So now 5mos. later, they sent me 2 emails wanting me to take their servey on how satisfied I was with their answer to my call, with the dealership, and with their product!!!!  So I told them not very satisfied with all of the above.  I then proceded to tell them how the MoCo is great at charging for their product, but when it comes to a known problem like the cam bearing problem in early Tc's and the cam tensioner problems, they will only repair their issues on a case by case basis.  This leaves the consumer footing the bill if the failure happens after the warranty has expired.  Not a very good feeling to the customer. So to end my venting, I told them this would be my last HD, as well as some friends I know, and maybe this is the reason the MoCo is laying off and applying for some bail out money.  Sorry for the long post, just needed a good venting.  Thanks for listening. 176
02 Heritage, 08 Ultra Classic, Mesa Arizona

Phu Cat

Communicating with your dollars speaks even louder than the written word. 

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

96flhpi

Doesn't need to be your last HD, just your last NEW HD.  With the price of used and the aftermarket support you never need to step into a dealer again and can keep riding HD.

Clintster

When mine was under warranty and I had a question regarding policy they usually referred to each dealership as privately owned.  I have the one I always wanted, but the customer service from the MoCo under warranty was less than satisfactory.  HD Customer Service is not a reason to purchase a new HD, not for me anyhow.  
Drive fast, take chances

JamLazyAss

Your experience may well have been very diferent had you done business with another dealership.
Their service and general attitude will vary from location to location.
Is it unfortunate? Bet your ass it is.
I believe the root of these evils comes from the owner of the dealship.
It certainly does in my town.
I can (and do) drive one hour north to another dealership and get treated as you would expect. Guess which one gets my business?

Hopefully those that that only want your wallet, will pay the ultimate price.

Support a dealer that supports you and your interests.
They're out there, and would love to have your business.

Wow, all that and I never mentioned a single dealership name  :up:

I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

smittyon66

I really have to agree with JamLazyAss. There are 28 dealers closer to me than the one I use, but I'll travel the 100 miles to Reimans HD in Kewanee IL.

Last time I was there, they spent an hour taking care of a problem on a used bike I had bought on consignment from them a year earlier. I didn't complain about the problem and I wasn't looking for it to be done for free, I justed asked them to look at it. Problem fixed and no charge.
Forget the bullsh!t - it's all about two wheels and a motor!

iconicbikesrider

We should rate our dealers. Objectively if we could. I live in a metropolitan area and there are about 36 dealers within 100 miles radious. I have visited many of them, not all. Some of these dealers are within a short drive distance. However I deal with only one. This dealeship is a 40 miles ride for me. They are not perfect but I feel comfortable and they usually get my money. when I order parts that I can wait for I go to the web. I usually order from Zanotti.
We should rate our dealers with a A, B or C or "stay-away" With specific dealers names...
Used to be a list of "stealers" but is not updated...
Riding Iconic motorcycles Made In USA.

JamLazyAss

We should rate our dealers with a A, B or C or "stay-away" With specific dealers names...

I would support the above.
However, how would you handle twp people with opposing views on the same dealer?

truck

OK. How about this?
List the dealer YOU like to do business with. Name and city, state.
No bad mouthing any dealer just list the dealer you like to do business with.

Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

02roadcling

However, how would you handle twp people with opposing views on the same dealer? <<

Individually
No problem unless you are sharing the same email. lol
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

PoorUB

I deal with Fargo HD in West Fargo, ND. I can't complain about the service, although I never got the warm fuzzies either. On the other hand friends of mine have had excellent support from the dealer, going above and beyond what was expected. I think it may have to do that they rarely see my ride, since I do all my own service, where friends get ALL their service done there.

A friend came traveling through from out of town and had running problems. They bumped him to the top of the list and looked his bike over. They eventually removed the PC-III and the bike ran fine, slightly out of tune, but got him going. They spent a couple hours on his bike and charged him very little for their time.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

darrelbarrows

i live in michigan but on my way back from sturgis i blew a tire in illinois. Got a tow to starved rock harley davidson and it was a few minutes to closing time, they pulled my bike in changed the tire and got me back on the road. I was expecting a $400 dollar bill, 200 bucks and i was on my way...

Phu Cat

Not real sure how successful rating dealers would be.  One of my buddies in town had terrible luck with the same dealer I had great luck with.  What then?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

nibroc

Quote from: darrelbarrows on January 24, 2009, 02:07:44 PM
i live in michigan but on my way back from sturgis i blew a tire in illinois. Got a tow to starved rock harley davidson and it was a few minutes to closing time, they pulled my bike in changed the tire and got me back on the road. I was expecting a $400 dollar bill, 200 bucks and i was on my way...

during sturgis bike week '08 i had a tire put on for a little over $200 at rapid city h-d. went in there with a friend who had 2 tires put on and while waiting i saw that i should put one on being that we were going on to the pacific coast and all--they put a rear dunlop 402 sw ON THE FRONT! well the part time service techs jacked me around and told me that harley changed their tread pattern. lol i got a little irate and most people were noticing me. finally got the the service rep name darrel and he told me that he would change it out with a front tire. i said i don't have the time and told him to give me $50 and it would be good to go. he agreed. i was on my way with a rear tire on the front. darrel was heads up with me. some times it's just the people at the dealership. not to mention they are kind 'o busy during bike week. "Potty mouth" happens!! live with it.

JamLazyAss

""Potty mouth" happens!! live with it."

Sounds exactly like the mentality of the lesser dealerships.

CndUltra88

Remeber the day when at:  "Ford Qaulity is Job 1"?
I had warrenty issues with Ford years ago and Mother Ford told me that each stealership is an independant retailer, blah blah blah ...

Venting is good therapy, Riding your bike is Better... but that depends on what mother nature is dishing out on your road at the moment.
If the MoCo really wanted to know what you felt they wouldnt need to record your calls to them  for  *customer quality assurance purposes * my ass...
Rob
Infantryman Terry Street
End of Tour April,4,2008 Panjwayi district Afghanistan