May 04, 2024, 02:52:31 PM

News:

OT- Propane question

Started by stsdc, January 24, 2009, 11:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stsdc

I am building a small camping trailer and want to install an on board, 2 burner propane cooktop.  Can I use the small 1 lb bottles for this or does a regulator need to be between the bottle and the appliance?  Don't have room for the big tanks, and a small bottle is plenty for what we will use. The manufacturer says the stove is "10 inch" pressure and I would have to meet that requirement.    Thanks for any help.

bouncingVman

"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

tireater

I got a multifuel stove for <$20 on sale...butane or propane...works great...
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

stsdc

This is what I was hoping to mount into a small countertop, no packing un-packing, ease and convenient, trying to get the wife to camp more.....

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/rv-stoves/gas-cooktop-suburban.htm

MrClean

Maybe a portable stove.  No need to make it permanent.

http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/coleman%20stoves?cm_mmc=ps_google_CH-_-Category%20-%20Camp%2fHike_New-_-Camping%2fHiking_New_Brand_Coleman-_-coleman%20stoves&mr:adGroup=1179230765&mr:ad=2545149785&mr:keyword=coleman%20stoves&mr:referralID=NA&gclid=CI7h-caRqJgCFRwwawod0joUnA
These are the facts according to my opinions.

truck

Quote from: MrClean on January 24, 2009, 01:25:37 PM
Maybe a portable stove.  No need to make it permanent.

http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/coleman%20stoves?cm_mmc=ps_google_CH-_-Category%20-%20Camp%2fHike_New-_-Camping%2fHiking_New_Brand_Coleman-_-coleman%20stoves&mr:adGroup=1179230765&mr:ad=2545149785&mr:keyword=coleman%20stoves&mr:referralID=NA&gclid=CI7h-caRqJgCFRwwawod0joUnA

He's looking for no packing and unpacking.
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

PoorUB

I don't think a 1 pound LP can will vaporize enough fuel for both burners at the same time, I may be wrong. You can get LP tanks in various sizes, no need to use the standard BBQ sized tank, but you may have to buy your own tanks, for example....
http://domsoutdoor.com/product.asp?pn=1-026658&bhcd2=1232832731

Plus consider the run time on a small 1 pound tank. You can measure run time in munites with burners on high fire! 1 pound of LPG contains about 21,500 BTU. That 6,000 BTU burner will run ~3-1/2 minutes on high fire! 5 pound can = ~18 minutes.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

clap

Yes you need a regulator, gas exits a cylinder at a high pressure and to operate a propane appliance you only need low pressure (less than an oz. of pressure) to be exact 11" of water column.If you hook it up straight to the tank your flames will be through the roof.LOL

stsdc

Coleman® has updated their classic! When you roll into camp hungry, you'll appreciate the speed and ease of cooking with this propane stove.
This double-burner stove is capable of delivering 11,000 BTUs per burner, heating a quart of water in 4.5 minutes
One 16.4-oz. cylinder of fuel will last over an hour with both burners on high
PerfectFlowâ,,¢ control system delivers stable heat output by producing a steady flow of fuel, even in high altitude, low fuel or cold conditions

Above ad says 16.oz cylinder will last over an hour, burning combined 22,000 btu (both burners at 11,000 each) on high.  So a stove delivering 6000 btu's should last 3 1/2 hours, not minutes, right?  or am I missing something?

PoorUB

Quote from: stsdc on January 24, 2009, 03:36:10 PM
Above ad says 16.oz cylinder will last over an hour, burning combined 22,000 btu (both burners at 11,000 each) on high.  So a stove delivering 6000 btu's should last 3 1/2 hours, not minutes, right?  or am I missing something?

Maybe I am! :embarrassed:
I may need to rethink my calculations. I got it now! BTU is rated in hours! Not minutes! Sorry! :embarrassed:
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Phu Cat

If I remember right, it takes about 100 pounds to keep propane liquid, so Clap is right you definitely need a regulator.  11" of water presssure is a little under a half pound of pressure (one pound of pressure equals 27.7 inches of water). 

Isn't one BTU equal to the energy to raise one pound of water one degree in one hour?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.