April 27, 2024, 07:50:35 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Tell me what you think

Started by Bucket, January 24, 2009, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucket

This is my first post. I have been reading for about year and enjoy it. This is a great site. I have a 98 fxstc 34k miles s&s super e phython 3 drag pipes. Just installed ev27 and se adj  pushrods. Have a rear base gasket leak that I am going to address soon. Would like get some head work done while I have them off or just buy some se heads and bolt them on. Local shop in Memphis has a rebuild for $400 new guides and seals and ultrasonic cleaning and set them for my cam.also $88 to mill to get 9.5 to 1From what I have read here the se heads are more for the upper end of the rpm range. With my Softail gearing 2.92 Final drive I am at 82 mph at 3200  and thats where I ride at. The Machine shop told me that the stock evo heads with a good valve job would give me good low end. I want to know what other builds that are close to this I would like to get  about 80 hp 

JohnS_Rosamond

The more power you want, the more difficult and more expensive it is.  A good matched set of performance parts (i.e., cam, exhaust pipe, head work) should easily get you into the 70's for Hp.  However, after that, it's not as easy. It's possible though - my buddy used to have a 80Hp FXR.

Hillside Motorcycle

Those Pythons have a noteriety of producing late power.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Phu Cat

What's: ultrasonic cleaning

Milling heads is kinda permanent.  Replacing stock pistons with higher compression is cheaper if you need to go back.
SE heads are OK, but more expensive than better after market heads.

The Machine shop told me that the stock evo heads with a good valve job would give me good low end. With an EV27 cam?

PC
Too much horsepower is almost enough.

Bucket

what about those se cast pistons 10-1   I have heard that they are more like 9.5-1....I was thinking that way and just leave the heads alone....It's a daily rider  I am not looking to race

Pilgrim

Quote from: JohnS_Rosamond on January 25, 2009, 02:04:33 PM
The more power you want, the more difficult and more expensive it is.  A good matched set of performance parts (i.e., cam, exhaust pipe, head work) should easily get you into the 70's for Hp.  However, after that, it's not as easy. It's possible though - my buddy used to have a 80Hp FXR.

Amen, John; me, too.  The 80" in my '84 FXRT turned 84hp the only time I ever put it on a dyno, at about 85,000 miles after I'd gone the cam/valve/headflow/compression route.  Between 80k and 105k miles I rebuilt that motor three times from the crank up.  One time it blew up so bad I couldn't even throw it away.  All I was doing was cruising at around 70 with the OL.  TAP TAP TAP, BANG BANG BANG, WHAM!!!!! in about three seconds, then Clatter Clatter Clatter as I rolled to a stop on the shoulder.  I was never hard on the mill but, after all, I did build it to run  :smilep: .  After the third time is when I dropped in the 107" S&S and left it stock.  You can build 'em up, but once you reach a certain point you can run 'em hard or run 'em long, but you can't run 'em hard and long.

Pilgrim
Your bike is $2,000 away from being dead, solid perfect.  And it always will be.

rdkng

Like JohnS said.  Mild cam, little head work, carb & pipes basically gets you into
the 70's horsepower wise.  Getting to 80 hp requires more stuff & more $$.

I think the best bang-for-the-buck option is heads shaved and valve job with existing cam.
(although you really shouldnt need a valve job at 34K, but since you're there may as well)
Phu makes a good point on permanent vs pistons.. depends on what matters to you.

I also think the SE heads are good overall heads & come with new parts, plus you have the option of keeping or selling your original heads.  But at this point you start getting hooked
on bigger cam and heads custom set up for it and etc $$ etc $$..   
enjoy the ride
rdkng 
Happy Motoring, Road King George

Hillside Motorcycle

We done a ton of those that will run 75 hp and 85 ft/lbs with the 27 cam.
Mill the heads .060-.070".
Also I'll make mention of the fact that a Wood 8, will run damn near at, or above 90/90, set up correctly.
Daily drivers with no issues. Have done a ton of those as well.
Mikuni 42, 44 CV, or S&S E, t/jetted.
Wood 8
10.75 cr
Good heads
Crane or Dyna ignition
T/header,Pro pipe,Cycle Shack or Harley slip-ons.
Ride on the back tire, and get great fuel economy.
You'll be accused of having a stroker.......
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

PanHeadRed

Bucket, I think for your style of riding you have a good plan, I also think that for $488.00 you can get more then a valve job, guides and seals.

PC, an Ultrasonic Cleaner is a piece of equipment that uses liquid cleaners, it creates ultrasonic vibrations that cause very small bubbles to form and collapse, the implosion of the bubbles is very effective at scrubbing. Basically, it's a high-tech washing machine.