May 01, 2024, 05:08:04 PM

News:

Piston slap

Started by topcat3815, November 01, 2008, 05:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

topcat3815

I had a what I thought was a lifter noise I had been fighting for a while well turns out it was piston slap. Installed new cylinders and pistons, no more lifter noise.

snoman

Quote from: topcat3815 on November 01, 2008, 05:29:18 AM
I had a what I thought was a lifter noise I had been fighting for a while well turns out it was piston slap. Installed new cylinders and pistons, no more lifter noise.

Great,
      What kinda mileage {yr. model} do you have on 'er ?
         sno
         '02 flhtc

topcat3815

roadtrain

Wow...31,000 and you had piston slap. I have a 02 FLSTF with a 95 kit and it's just covered 190,000klms and is still running as good as the day I installed the kit at 5,000klms.

I had to remove a head because I broke a stud changing the rocker covers and thought I would be up for a rebore as well, but after inspecting the cylinder the bore showed no wear. I gave it a quick hone and fitted new rings, that was 3,000klms ago.

I am very happy with the durability of these TC motors.

RT

ederdelyi

topcat,
Stock motor? I.E., bore/stoke and pistons? If not, were the pistons cast/hyper or forged? If forged, what alloy? --- pretty unusual for a stocker with cast pistons to develop noticable slap at 31k unless it was beaten on pretty dang hard or had lube problems. Not accusing ya of any "bad behavior", just curious.

topcat3815

It was a 95 in with cast flat tops . with 4000 on build  found front cylinder bored wrong .

Tattoo

always check ring end gap before intalling pistons.
"You can have anything you want
But you better not take it from me"