May 02, 2024, 05:54:46 AM

News:

Starter ring gear?

Started by xlfan, April 11, 2012, 01:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xlfan

Would it be possible to weld or rivet a starter ring gear on a 67-69 clutch drum from a XLCH?

xlfan

Lew

I really don't know, as I've never done it or heard it being done.  Not sure if the drums are the same diameter.  If the drums are the same and there's room in the case, then not a problem.  So long as the drum isn't too small, or too large to allow the ring gear to be fitted.  Some machining may be required but, I think it's likely possible...with some persuasion. 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

xlfan

Cltch drum from a XLH seems to be the way to go.

InkyDoggy

Quote from: Lew on April 12, 2012, 06:35:55 PM
I really don't know, as I've never done it or heard it being done.  Not sure if the drums are the same diameter.  If the drums are the same and there's room in the case, then not a problem.  So long as the drum isn't too small, or too large to allow the ring gear to be fitted.  Some machining may be required but, I think it's likely possible...with some persuasion.

You can weld a ring gear to the existing Clutch basket. It goes with the bevel towards the starter. Use a MIG welder and put down one inch welds equally spaced ten grind them flat if they are sticking up to much. You re install the basket then add the rest of the starter parts to get electric start. I have down this to a few bikes already for different guys and getting ready to do it on a 75 XLCH 1000 I just picked up.